Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: in a minefield!

striped is offline Junior Member

Default in a minefield!

hi everyone ,
    i was wondering if any one can shed some light on the situation i am in ?
    i have been in the country for 2 months , came in on a uk passport for 6 months
    my partner is a kiwi - we have only been living together since my arrival - long story
    i am on the skilled migrant list n currently looking for a job offer/work visa which comes first ?
    also i really want to stay with my partner what are the best channels to go down, the work visa route = catch 22 (ie no job offer without a visa/no visa without a job offer) or do partner sponsership route
    can i extend my stay or can i come back into nz - how long to i need to be away?

this area is causing some confusion

ANY help most welcome ,

thanks guys
    mart

Jof
    Jof is offline Member

Hi,

Have you thought of looking at a working holiday visa? If you're under 30 that lasts for up to 23 months for a UK passport holder. You'd be restricted to temporary work - but I guess you could apply for another type of visa when/if you got a permanent job offer.

Jof

thanks for the reply , i am 42, so cant do that route, i will be coming over with my own funds, n wont be a spounger on nz,

Jof
    Jof is offline Member

Oh right, hmmm - I applied for PR from outside the country without a job offer so I'm probably not the best to advise. What I can say is that a PR application takes a relatively long time without a job offer it would certainly take longer than the rest of your six months. I've heard that people with job offers get processed quickly, sometimes very quickly and I know that it can be done in-country.

So as you say it looks like your best bet if you are on the essential skills list is to go for a temporary essential skills visa. If you get a job offer soon, then there's probably still time to get it processed.

I don't think essential skills visas work unless you have a job offer though.

You can't stay longer than six months on your UK passport alone and the rule is that you can only spend six months in a given year, so it's not possible to skip out of the country and back in to reset your timer.

There are also visas called limited purpose visas that you might take a look at that allow stays to be extended. It might even be possible as a UK citizen to apply for a visitors visa (because you normally don't have to) but I best stop now as I'm heading into territory I really don't know anything about!!

Good luck,

Jof

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

I'd think that with your age and relationship status (I'm assuming it's not been longer than 12 months!), your only option if you want to stay now long term would be to apply for a work permit based on a job offer. I know it sounds catch 22, but it only means you need to find someone willing to wait a while before you can start work. They are out there!

Your only other option if you are skilled is a full PR application, but that may extend beyond your time on your visitors permit. Any extensions to your visit permit will exclude you from returning to the country for that amount of time, on top of your original 6 months.

It's a tough one!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

kiwiguy is offline Member

Hi I am a kiwi and my partner is about your age
    She just got the work visa under partnership ( for 1 year but can be extended and can also apply for PR after living together for 1 year as we have not been togther for 1 year
    we have but long story it was to hard to prove
    )
    Its an open work visa so she can work anywhere and she just managed to get a job

So basically she was here for about 4 months and we applied for the work visa under partnership and it came through after about 3 weeks .

So this maybe an option that you can look at

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

This is the visa I tend to point people towards if they are short of the 12 months living together thing and this may be what Kiwiguy is talking about.

If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa or permit for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work permits for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:

* you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
    * you apply for residence as a partner.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

thanks for the info guys xxx ,

to get the visa you need a job offer though? their is my problem , i am on the skilled migrant list but trying to get an employer job offer, the ones i have spoken to so far will only employ me if i have a work visa and are reluctant to offer me a job till i have one,
    my girlfriend is a kiwi resident, i have been living with her less than a yr but been friends for over 20
    any more ideas / info most gratefully accepted

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by striped View Post
    to get the visa you need a job offer though?
    No, it doesn't say that, just that you would be eligible for a work visa/permit (which would enable you to look for work, whether skilled or not). This visa is based on partnership rather than having skills or a job although, obviously, either or both of those would be most welcome.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kiwiguy is offline Member

Yes that was the one Motherbear eg the less than 12 months part
    and yes you do not need a job offer you simply get the visa and you can work at any job
    there is no job offer needed or English language skills etc

You just apply for workpermit and select under partnership
    your partner needs to write a letter to confirm you are in a partnership
    and you need things like photos together and other things in my case we sent in copies of joint bank account and telephone bill and also some letters from friends that acknowledged we were together
    and anything else you can think that can prove you are together
    Plus all the other stuff they ask for and then you wait for about a month

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast