Thread: Question about budget needed before moving to NZ

Farzad is offline Member

Default Question about budget needed before moving to NZ

Dear friends,

My question is about budget needed for a couple. we plan to move to NZ in October, My partner will be a PhD student and I will look for a job there. I am an IT service manager.

Because of economy crisis I am afraid of finding a suitable job for one year.
    My questions are:

1- Is USD 20,000 enough to stay in Auckland with my partner for one year without any job? or we should budget less or more? We want to rent a studio or 1bedroom apartment near the University of Auckland.

2- Regarding our background is it reasonable to budget for one year stay without any job? or we can get assured that I can find a job within maximum 6 months?

Thanks & Regards,
    Farzad

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

INZ usually recommends that NZ$1000 per person per month is the least you should have to live on if you don't have accommodation already provided, $400 if you do. There are ways of cutting costs like sharing accommodation with others, eating cheaply etc.

I really don't think anyone could say whether you would get a job within 6 months. It would be up to you to convince a potential employer to give you a job. Each job applicant is different and each employer is different, so we wouldn't be able to guarantee anything as we don't know you personally or your capabilities.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Farzad is offline Member

Thank you Mother Bear, your replies always are helpful.

When we enter to NZ we may live in University accommodation or we may share a house, but we do not count on these kinds of accommodation to lower our budget before coming to NZ and realizing our real conditions, so we prefer to budget for not-shared house.

About the duration of 6 months to find a job, I just mean from the economy crisis point of view. I exactly mean that if I am an experienced expert whose major is in absolute shortage list in NZ, with good personality and self-confidence, in normal conditions, I may suppose to find a relevant job in maximum 3 months, but when I should consider economy crisis then how long should I add to this 3 months? Maybe it can not be estimated yes?

Thanks & Regards,
    Farzad

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

At the moment there is so much talk about when the recession will end, but I don't think anyone can honestly predict when this will happen. All you can do is apply for jobs and hope for the best.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Jetty Candy is offline Junior Member

You should be fine with USD20,000 for a year if you live on campus, keep only one car, and be careful with your budget. If possible, cook your own meal will save a lot. But if you want to rent a house (not flatting with others), it will be quite a stretch, since most houses here have no furniture, so the initial cost to set up yourself may be quite expensive. Also decent place near city centre is quite expensive, if you need to commute by car, parking can be difficult to find and expensive (min $10/day). Another option is to rent a small apartment close to Uni, but be aware the quality of those match boxes, some hidden costs, and some maybe leaking!

If you got recognised qualification in IT and is an expert in your area, expect to get a job within 3-6month, even with the ressesion.

Good luck,