Thread: foreign taxpayer benefits in New Zealand

downtownguy is offline Junior Member

Default foreign taxpayer benefits in New Zealand

Hi everybody,

Can you please advice me regarding this situation.
    I'm a foreigner under partnersgip work permit and this is my second year in NZ.
    My 1 month pregnant wife is a student here and her student insurance doesn't cover expensive such pre-natal check up and pregnancy follow up. we are planning to go back home definitely 2 weeks before due date delivery.
    my question is: as a taxpayer here in NZ, can i benefit from fees deduction regarding hospital or clinic charges? I was even told that my wife could be looked after free of charge.

can you please advice.

Thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I'm assuming that 'to be able to enter NZ' would also apply to someone who is already in NZ under the same terms. It mentions about giving birth there and the associated costs but I don't know if this would apply to pre-natal care as well.

Health requirements for temporary entry to New Zealand – students, workers, and visitors

To be able to enter New Zealand as a student, worker, or visitor we need to be assured that you and any family members with you have an acceptable standard of health. We impose this requirement to protect public health in New Zealand and to ensure that people entering New Zealand do not impose excessive costs and demands on our health and special education services. We also want to make sure that people who enter New Zealand are able to undertake the work or study for which they have been granted entry.

If you intend to give birth in New Zealand you are not considered to have an acceptable standard of health as it is likely you will impose significant costs and demands on New Zealand’s health services.

Generally, we will not approve the entry of people to New Zealand if they have:
    •active pulmonary tuberculosis (TB)
    •a relatively high probability of needing publicly funded health services during their stay in New Zealand, including, but not limited to: ◦hospitalisation
    ◦residential care*
    ◦high-cost pharmaceuticals
    ◦high-cost disability services

•applied for a student visa, and are under 21 years of age and likely to qualify for ongoing and reviewable resourcing schemes (ORRS) funding.

How do I pay for my healthcare in New Zealand?
    New Zealand's healthcare system is funded mainly through general taxation. Treatments are usually free or subsidised. Medical treatment is generally very good. Private healthcare is also available.

Will I be eligible for publicly funded healthcare?
    Yes, provided you are a New Zealand Citizen or you are ordinarily resident in New Zealand.

How do I become ordinarily resident?
    You need to be a permanent resident or a work-permit holder. The work-permit must be for a minimum of two years at time of issue. If you meet the criteria, your partner and children aged 19 years or under will also be eligible for publicly funded healthcare.

When is publicly funded healthcare free?

Public healthcare is free for:

• hospital treatment including 24-hour accident and emergency (A&E) clinics. There are some exceptions, such as for cosmetic surgery.
    • children's immunisations.
    • prescription medicine for children under six.
    • people with a prescription subsidy card and a high use health card or community services card.
    • prescription medicines for all public hospital patients.
    • most laboratory tests and x-rays, except at privately operated clinics.
    • healthcare during pregnancy and childbirth. This covers everything from the diagnosis of pregnancy to pre- and post-natal care for mother and baby. There is no charge for hospital stays.
    • general practitioner (GP) referrals to a public hospital for treatment.
    • check-ups and basic dental treatment for schoolchildren.
    • breast-screening for women aged 50 to 64.
    • acute or chronic medical conditions. (In some circumstances a financial contribution may be needed.)

What healthcare is subsidised but not free?

• Prescription items.
    • Visits to general practitioners.
    • Visits to physiotherapists, chiropractors and osteopaths when referred by a GP.
    • Ambulance services.

How big a financial contribution towards medical costs will I have to make?

• A visit to your GP costs $50 or so between around 8:00am - 6:00pm. Visits at weekends or nights cost more. If, however, you join a PHO (Primary Health Organisation - these are government funded and free to join) a visit to your GP will cost approximately $25 - $30. Nearly all New Zealanders have now joined PHOs. It can sometimes take about three months after submitting an application to a PHO to receive lower priced care. It's advisable therefore to join a medical practice and enrol with a PHO sooner rather than later.
    • Many GP's waive the fee entirely for children under six.
    • If your GP prescribes medicines for you, you will pay $3 per item provided you have joined a PHO. Otherwise, you will pay more.
    • If the prescription is for a non-subsidised medicine, you will pay more for it. Non-subsidised items such as Xenical are available at full cost.
    • Ambulance services may cost $45 - $65
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.