Thread: Taxes???

sc2007 is offline Junior Member

Default Taxes???

What type of taxes are paid in NZ? Are there property, income taxes? Also, are there any so-called Homeowners Associations if someone lives in a house?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi,

Not sure if this will answer some of your questions. You may have to hunt around a bit to find what you need. I've never heard of a Homeowners' Association so perhaps someone can enlighten us if they know of such a thing.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Homeowners associations

Thanks. Since this post I have gotten some information on the types of taxes in NZ. But I am glad to hear that none of you have heard of Homeowners Associations. They basically are supposed to keep an eye on the neighborhood and make sure that people do not have junk/garbage laying around, the grass is cut, etc. But all this is unnecessary bother since the places I lived here did not have that problem and not all had these associations. But they are nosy. They complain when a satellite dish is put up and if their rules are not obeyed they issue fines and may put liens on the house when sold.
    Glad to hear that NZ does not have these.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Aaah, spoke too soon. You must mean something like the Neighbourhood Watch system in the UK. Yes, there is something like that in NZ. I wouldn't like to say how dictatorial this system is in NZ but I guess it might depend on the type of people involved in each particular area. Kiwis are usually relatively laid back compared to Americans, so I hope it wouldn't be a problem.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

What you describe is different. The outfit that we have here is basically just concerned with "cosmetic" details, not about anything of substance, like neighborhood safety, etc. Plus, they charge each homeowner $$ per year for it. This is separate from taxes.

What you describe is a neighborhood watch, which exists here also but is pretty much voluntary and different from the homeowners association.

It looks like NZ may not have these, which is good.

People Space is offline Senior Member

These associations sound a little like the sort of thing that you get in some new subdivisions in New Zealand. They set rules regarding the appearance of things from fences to letterboxes in the mistaken belief that this will somehow make it a better place to live. It is easy to avoid places that have these rules, as only some new or relatively new subdivisions have them. The rules are ususally covered under covenants on the property title set up by the person or company who created and sold the lots in the subdivision.
    Last edited by People Space; 19-07-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: more info