Thread: welder 19yrs exp

anthony_r is offline Junior Member

Question welder 19yrs exp

hi, i would like to move to new zealand as a welder, i have been welding since i left school in 1990 using tig, mig, mma on ss,mild, aluminium the problem i have is when i first started i was on a c.i.t.b course with the company i was working for but as times where tough on company's at the time. 2 yr's into my course they had to lay off all apprentice's and most fab team's so i never got to finish my apprenticeship. i am willing to go to college and do a diploma or city & guilds would this be enough to pass for qualification to enter new zealand with 19 yr's exp

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Greetings Anthony! Welcome.

If you run down the lists on here it looks like you would need a minimum of Level 3 in City and Guilds to qualify for points. Sometimes, with some job skills, a certain number of years' work experience can replace a qualification. However, I can't find 'welder' on either the Long Term Skill Shortage List or the Immediate Skill Shortage List which is a requirement if an applicant wants to go for permanent residency under the Skilled Migrant Category. I'm sure it used to be but was removed along with a few other occupations back last year, which caused quite a bit of hardship for some people. Unfortunately, this probably means that you could only get a temporary work visa, but not go on to get residency unless you could get a job offer from an accredited company that has approval from INZ to employ overseas applicants. Then you could work your way to residence after 2 years in the job and holding a Work to Residence visa. There are other requirements that any job offer would have to conform to.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Duke is offline Senior Member
    Lake Milton, Ohio

Hi anthony,
    Welder/fitter has been removed from the list...BUGGER!!!... but I dont think it could hurt you if you are a good welder... If I were you anthony, i would get certifed ( 6G all positions)...then go for it...there are plenty of jobs..alot of temp positions to give it a go...look into recruitment agencies, but being in NZ would be a start to be hired..good luck