Thread: Very early days.......UK financial adviser qualifications???

pauldornan is offline Junior Member

Default Very early days.......UK financial adviser qualifications???

Hi All,

I am in very early days of looking at a possible move from the UK to NZ. I am currently working for an international bank, that has offices in Auckland, so may have that as one option, to do an internal secondment, but want to explore all options.

I have emailed NZQA about transferral of qualifications to NZ. The reply was helpful, but costs seemed to mount up to find out whether I was eligible to move out to NZ.

I currently am 23, have Certificate for Financial Advisers (CeFA), Certificate for Mortgage Advice and Practice (CeMAP) and I am studying towards the Diploma in Financial Services (DipFS). I know these are all based on the UK Financial Services Industry but wondered if anyone knew of whether these are A) transferrable, B) would score any points on the point scale or C) Whether there are any positives or negatives to being a financial adviser in NZ

My girlfriend is a NZ passport holder, as she is from Hamilton and her family are all still there.

Sorry for the essay, but thought I would try and get as much info as I can in one go!

Thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pauldornan View Post
    The reply was helpful, but costs seemed to mount up to find out whether I was eligible to move out to NZ.
    Oh yes, indeedy! Isn't that always the way?

Hi Paul and welcome.

Looking on here there are several financial adviser-type positions that are classed as skilled. It depends if your job title fits one of them and you comply with the requirements mentioned in the link on that page. You could have a look on here to check out which job group/skill level you belong to. If your skill level is such that you can apply for residency under the Skilled Migrant Category, you could go ahead and calculate how many points you have. If you have 100+ points you can submit an application. I wouldn't like to say that you would get any points for your qualifications as points appear to be awarded to those who have degrees and similar.

OR

As you have a girlfriend who has a kiwi passport, she could apply to sponsor you under the Partnership Policy but there are certain conditions you need to look into e.g. whether your relationship is such that you have been living together for a minimum of 12 months.

You have 2 options to get into NZ but both will need probing a bit further to see if either of them fit you well enough to apply.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.