Thread: work experience in an area of abosolute skills shortage!!!!!!!!!!!

janbel is offline Junior Member

Default work experience in an area of abosolute skills shortage!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all,

Again coming up with a question!

G5: Please indicate the total number of years work experience in an area of
    absolute skills shortage. (For this I belong to the group "2 but less than 6 yrs") But i got confused which work experience I should mention.

After completion of my Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, I worked as an Assistant Lecturer for one year and then promoted to Lecturer where I worked for 2.5years. Then I did my two yrs Master's Degree in Water Resources Engineering. Recently, I am working as a Project Engineer in dredging company since Oct 2007 for about one year.

The problem for me is about claiming points for absolute skill shortage in G5. Shall I put my profession as PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER or Lecturer? If I put Professional Engineer, I don't have work experience of 2 years as professional Engineer for points. Even I can't put lecturer for claiming points for working more than two years since I have worked as a lecturer just after completion of bachelor degree. Or will it be better to claim one year of work experience as Professional Engineer and one year of experience as Lecturer but for this, there is no option to mention both profession as absolute skill shortage in G5? So, I really got confused which absolute skill shortage (Professional Engineer or Lecturer) to mention for absolute skill shortage on G5 to gain 10 points for 2 but less than 6 yrs. Can anybody help me????
    Last edited by janbel; 10-12-2008 at 07:14 AM.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

You can only claim for one or the other, not both. Is there any reason why you can't claim for your 2.5 years of experience as a lecturer? To get points you need to claim for work experience that is backed up by a qualification as mentioned in here.

This is what the Operations Manual says about it, which isn't very helpful. Perhaps you can dig around the other links to see if you can find out more.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

janbel is offline Junior Member

Thanks for ur reply. For longterm skill shortage list as a lecturer, we might need to have qualification of master or phd. But I have worked as lecturer at university after completion of bachelor degree only. So, I got confused whether I could claim under lecturer or not. Need your suggestion.....

Meow is offline Junior Member

Dear Mother bear,

Depending on my circumstance I can claim points for either, work experience in an identified future growth area or experience in an area of absolute skills shortage.

Depending on my work experience I should get 10 points, but it won't show up in the grand total Any idea what could be the reason ?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

You aren't trying to claim for both, are you?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Meow is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    You aren't trying to claim for both, are you?
    Sorted, thanks. I can claim only for experience in an area of absolute skills shortage