Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticky situation

gbaker76 is offline Junior Member

Default Sticky situation

Hello all.

I think I might have just begun a rather tricky application process.

I live in the UAE but have just been offered a job in New Zealand, which I want to take. I've completed my EOI, gaining 195 points, but will have to wait until Dec 17 pick before it's even accepted.

Here come the problems: I haven't got an address in the UAE - I live in a hotel and the postal service here is shocking - so mail is going to be something of a problem. Also, I live in Abu Dhabi, and the consulate is in Dubai, so it's not easy to get there for interviews etc.

My new workplace wants me to start before February. Is this a decent amount of time to get everything sorted with the problems I face? I've already got my police certificate application together but I've got to send it via a friend in England, who then has to send it to a friend in New Zealand.

If the time frame looks a bit dodgy, is it possible to move to NZ and apply internally while on a visit visa? I was told by the Dubai consulate that this was a no-no, but I've seen on these forums people have moved over and then finished the process. If not, is there a way to get some sort of temporary stop gap while I iron out all the residency process?

I think my main problems are a lack of a verifiable address, a very bad postal system where things could easily get lost (ie my passport), and the time frame.

The other thing is that I can be kicked out of the UAE as soon as I give notice to the company that employs me here. So I'm sort of stalling on that. It's looking increasingly attractive to go back to England and do it all there. However, I have hardly any ties there any more and would have to pay tax on all my earnings in the UAE if I re-entered.

And last up, about 11 years ago I was given a small fine and conditional discharge for affray, which amazingly despite the sentence doesn't fall off my record for 15 years. It was definitely folly of youth and I've never been involved with the police otherwise (apart from as a victim and for my job). I've detailed all of this and the circumstances in the EOI. Will this affect the process, delay it, or could it even scupper it? I've agonised over this for so long but I guess if the UAE will take me, with all its checks, NZ might let it slip.

I've lived in New Zealand for about two years, 2004-2006, first on a working holiday visa and then a work permit / visa but left for personal reasons. Except for a few extra experience points, will this help my application?

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Last edited by gbaker76; 04-12-2008 at 02:29 PM.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Gbaker and welcome.

As you say, you could enter NZ on a visit visa and then apply for a Work Permit, which shouldn't take too long to get. It's never recommended that you let immigration know you intend doing this as a visit visa is intended purely for visiting and not working, but hundreds of people get in this way as it's a quick way of being able to work legally. Once you have a WP under your belt you can take your time and apply for residency afterwards. If you do it all within NZ, it should do away with the problem of the dodgy mailing system in Abu Dhabi.

I would hope that your previous offence wouldn't affect any residency application because it happened quite a while ago and you only had a light penalty. INZ are looking for more heavy-duty offences, particularly ones that carry a prison sentence.

I doubt your previous experiences in NZ would do much to benefit your application, but, if you kept your nose clean while you were there, it certainly shouldn't do you any harm.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Motherbear thank you so much for your help and your quick reply. So you CAN enter and then apply! It's just a leetle bit dodgy...

next problem: i've got a lot of stuff i want to ship from the uae to new zealand, yet all the carriers here say it's 'against the law' to ship personal effects from here. are they just being stupid or does that sound right?

rasin is offline Member

hi,
    If you've WP you could ship your stuff to NZ. Otherwise might be subject to some kind of charges like GST? Not very sure about other visa.
    Alternative is to ship to a kiwi friend's place.
    Arrived NZ on 15th Dec'08
    Obtained Partnership Work Permit on Mar'09
    EOI submitted on 14Jul'09 (NZ Wellington Central branch)
    ITA received on 10Sep'09
    ITA submitted on 24Nov'09
    PR received on 26Mar'10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gbaker76 View Post
    .... yet all the carriers here say it's 'against the law' to ship personal effects from here.
    Eh? What are they on about? We've shipped our belongings from Kuwait, Syria and Qatar and hope, in the near future to ship them from Oman when we leave the Gulf States for the last time, so I don't see why the UAE should be any different.

If you are shipping brand new items from any country and are importing them into NZ you will have to pay GST (tax) on them and the same thing, as Rasin says, if you don't have a Work Permit or residency. Other than that, there should be no reason why you can't do it unless the items you want to ship into NZ are banned for some reason. Sounds like you and the carriers are talking at cross-purposes which, admittedly, isn't too difficult in these parts .
    Mother Bear

Exactly what I think. 'They're used clothes,' I said. 'Contraband,' he said.

Blog Entries

Advice on importing goods into NZ.

Prohibited imports.

NZ Customs Service. General site.

If the stuff you want to import is genuinely just your personal belongings, there should be no restrictions. Unless certain items are banned from importation into NZ, the worst that could happen is that you would be charged GST.
    Mother Bear

Cool thanks mother bear.

Next question: Do I have to provide police certificates for the time I spent in New Zealand?

Blog Entries

You will need a police certificate for your time spent in NZ because it's within the 10-year time frame and was for longer than 12 months but, as far as I know, INZ will sort that out themselves and you won't have to make the application.
    Mother Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast