Thread: NZQA - Revenue generator?

Default NZQA - Revenue generator?

Does anyone else feel as though the "fast track" option with NZQA is really just a revenue generator?

My wife submitted her qualifications for assesment over a month ago with NZQA. Her application has been in the "Allocation" phase for a month. She emailed them for a status, but as others have mentioned, it was ignored. I convinced her to call them as others have suggested and she was put straight thru to a person who was able to help her. She was told that everyone was in the same boat as her, but that she could speed along the process by opting to pay for the "Fast Track" option. She was told that if she sent a FAX with her credit card number, she could be assured that her application would be move along to the next step by this coming Monday.

I guess the problem I have with this is that it makes me feel like we are dealing with a mentality of bribery like you might find in any third world country. I hope I'm wrong, because we would really like to move to New Zealand to live, work and perhaps retire when the time comes.

It just seems to me that for a country that claims to have such a skills shortage, they make it very difficult and costly for anyone to try and enter their society.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Kind regards,
    Brad

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by m.brad.russell View Post
    Am I the only one who feels this way?
    No.

I often feel that the system is geared to making as much money out of us as possible. Perhaps they feel that, if we want to get into NZ badly enough, then we must be prepared to cough up. It's also a very good deterrent that is aimed at putting off all but the grim and determined of us who stay the course. INZ doesn't want just anybody entering their country. They only want those who are financially sound and, particularly, those who have something that the country needs.

I wonder what the cost of immigration tots up like where other countries are involved.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Wait until you see the outcome of the NZQA assessment, and then you'll definately see them as a revenue generator!

I too sent off my degree, with transcipts to NZQa, paid the hundreds for the assessment and fast track .. and what did I get back? A slip of paper that said less than my degree certificate "Level 6 degree, in Electronics, and that was literally it!" ... felt very cheated, but at least it meant I can now live here.
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/