Thread: Another noob hunting for an answer...

jbuys is offline Junior Member

Default Another noob hunting for an answer...

Hi there,

Some backgorund info :
    I arrived in NZ from South-Africa some time ago, found a job and received a 3 year work permit & multiple entry visa.
    My wife was pregnant at the time & couldn't travel, our son was subsequently born ( I did go back for his birth :D ) Now I want to get my family to NZ as soon as. We are currently waiting for his South-African passport to be printed. ( We do need it, can't include him and this does take time in South-Africa) Needless to say...I'm in a hurry to get them to join me here.

Questions:
    Can I bring my family from South-Africa on visitors permits and apply for Permanent Residence (for all of us, myself included) once they arrive? I have the required points & other supporting documentation. Has anyone done it this way in the past? And is it allowed? OR do I have to apply for a partnership-work permit and then later PR?

To apply for a work permit from South-Africa for my wife can take 3-6 months! ( A new Dad won't make it that long without seeing his newborn son, which is 1 month old this Friday)

Is there anyone that can give some advice on my dilemma? Please help a sad dad...
    Last edited by jbuys; 03-09-2008 at 11:25 AM.

TanyaJ is offline Member

I'd say you can definitely bring them over on visitors visas.

We applied at the same time and becase I was granted a work visa my daughter was given a visitors visa for the same time-period.

It should also make it a lot quicker.

We found the Pretoria office EXTREMELY slow and difficult to deal with so it might be better for them to courier everything to you and have you apply at one of the NZ branches.

Hi TanyaJ,

Can't they fly over and have the permits stamped at the airport? Do I need a specific type of visa? I really wouldn't want to submit anything in SA. They can courier the passports here, but I'm not sure what to apply for...

When I came out in Feb, my passport was stamped at immigration at the airport - 3 month visitors.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

They could come in on 3-month visitors' visas but I doubt 3 months would be long enough for you to submit an application for residency and have it granted before their visas ran out. It may be better, short term, if they came in under the umbrella of your Work Permit because, then, they should have a permit for the same length of time as yours. Your wife will have to make a separate application for her own permit and one for the baby. Once things have settled, you can think about applying for residency and include them on your form. The INZ site is very poor about stating what happens to WP holders who want to bring their families in. There is a category for residents or citizens to do this but I haven't come across one for WP holders. No doubt it is there somewhere but they've hidden it well.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

marillac is offline Junior Member

Question visa questions

Hi!

Hubby has 4 month work permit, as he is awaiting blood results for high protein before 3 year permit will be approved. We dont foresee problems though and is handing in test to medical assessor again on monday.

Can myself and 2 children fly over as visitors once full work permit approved?
    Can we just take over police clearance and medicals on plane and then apply for work permit 1015 once there?

Urgently want to meet up with hubby who has been on his own for 4 months!
    To apply for work permit this side just seems to be wasting time....?
    If they allow us on visitors visa, can we book one way tickets this time and not have to worry about immigration once landing as was the case with hubby?
    i.e. Is immigration happy to accept family of work permit holders on visitors visas?

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum, Marillac.

You can go to NZ as visitors and you could take your medical and police certificates with you. However, the certificates need to be submitted to INZ with your application before they expire. The medical certificate only has a life of 3 months and the police certificate has 6 months, so you need to be sure your hubby will have his full work permit before that time, so you can apply in time.

If you haven't got residency or a work permit, I doubt an airline would allow you on the plane as a visitor with only a one-way ticket. They usually need to see an onward or return ticket.
    Mother Bear

I echo your response MotherBear, my situation is now bound to a timeline. I have submitted my EOI and have been selected. I allready have my 3y work permit & multiple entry visa. The processing of my ITA (not yet received) will most likely be longer than their visitor visas allow them to stay.

I intend to either extend their visitor visa status OR apply for an open WP & student visa. My daughter will then be allowed to go to primary school and my wife allowed to work for any organization, as long as I retain my work status. This is pretty much a formality, but it's important.
    Do not under any circumstances overstay your visa status. The onus is on you to keep your visa/permits current. Some cost info - double check with immigration.
    $200 - work permit (dont forget the medical costs, cheaper & easier/quicker to do it in NZ)
    $200 - student visa (kids under 11 or 12 don't have to do the x-rays)
    $130 - visitor visa extension (we'll most likely not travel down this path)

Fortunately it's school holidays at the moment, so we're aiming to have her start in the next term. Salomie has an appointment with the principal, she's handling the school stuff. They entered with a return airticket on a 3 month visitors visa. My daughter is 7y and my son only 6weeks.

I couldn't stand the separation any longer - I might have just abandoned the whole process to be with them...but now they're here and things are starting to move along nicely.

What I supplied them for their entry (possibly not required, but would've helped if the questions at passport control started...they just sailed through though)
    A letter stating :
    * my situation around emigration, our eoi ref number etc
    * our nz address & phone numbers
    * that they won't overstay their visitors visas and will use the return ticket if neccesary
    * that i'm financially responsible for them
    * a certified copy of my passport with work permit ( he can go to a JP in nz and email it)
    * my work address, telephone numbers, position held and contact persons
    * our marriage certificate
    * our childrens birth certificates
    * i also added that i'm a new dad (my son was 5weeks at the time)

Good luck !
    Last edited by jbuys; 29-09-2008 at 04:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbuys View Post
    Do not under any circumstances overstay your visa status. The onus is on you to keep your visa/permits current.
    Very good advice. We've had some sad stories on here about people who did overstay and may have blown their chances of getting back into the country.

Quote Originally Posted by jbuys View Post
    I couldn't stand the separation any longer - I might have just abandoned the whole process to be with them...but now they're here and things are starting to move along nicely.
    So pleased you're all together again now. Enjoy!
    Mother Bear