Thread: skilled migrant help!!

skuttle7 is offline Junior Member

Default skilled migrant help!!

Can anyone give any advise on this, regarding the section which asks ,
    do you have a job offer in n/z, The answere is no, so therefore we are short on points, how can we obtain job interviews with a look on being offered a job etc, if we are not already in n/z activly looking for work, we will be going to the n/z roadshow in november in london will this help, also we are coming over for a two week holiday, to get a feel for the country, lastly as we are financially ok we have looked into greenacres franchise does anyone have any info that may help with this, as we are now getting so confused,
    cheers John

TanyaJ is offline Member

Hi John,

We were also short on points until we received a job offer.

I went onto SEEK - New Zealand's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site and applied for anything in my field and just kept doing it every day. There were employment agencies and companies who were willing to do Skype interviews.

We did end up coming to NZ for final interviews though.

Duke is offline Senior Member

I was offered a job through one the many consulting agencies that deal with employers directly. To bad for me the timing is off, as i am not financially and physically ready yet( house sale, junk sale, and back up cash). But they had called me on the phone and asked me all about my skills and interests, within hours I had offers but most of the NZ employers wanted me in NZ.
    It seems being present in NZ and dealing w/ a consulting company placing you work you can obtain a work permit and go through the stages of immigration while in NZ, or do all the immigration paperwork before you go and obtain an ITA.
    To work in NZ, I think, you need a bank account and an IRD #...this prcess does get confusing and Im not the brightest person when it comes to paperwork, after 3.5 years of decision making I still dont quite understand which direction to go with this.
    I have no comments on greenacres franchise.
    While in NZ, maybe look for jobs advertised and take a look.
    Good Luck

gnom is offline Member

Like TanyaJ I applied for jobs on the mentioned site. I got several phones from agencies. After I had with one company interviews (skype) and in the end I got the job. Two monts later we arrived in NZ. Good luck!
    Got Job offer in November 2007
    Got 3-years work visa valid to 15.01.2011 in Jan 08
    Landed in Wellington the 16th January 2008
    Work permit for my partner submitted the 26th Jan 08
    Loged EOI the 27th January 2008
    Was selected the 31st January 2008
    Work permit/visa granted for my partner the 20th Feb 08
    Loged my PR the 28th March 2008
    PR approved 23.07.2008

Cheers
    Gnom

skuttle7 is offline Junior Member

This is the problem we have been having, we have been told by a consultant its quicker and easier to get in to australia and then move on to n/z, we have 140 points to get in to oz, and not tied down to any job within my husbands skilled application once we are there, im so confused as it would mean uprooting the kids twice, then also as we woluld be bringing dogs over they too would be unsettled

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skuttle7 View Post
    .... we have been told by a consultant its quicker and easier to get in to australia and then move on to n/z
    I thought Oz was more difficult to get into. Ex-neighbours of mine in the UK took 18 months to get their Oz residency and said that was the standard time and the process was quite hard. That was a while ago though.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

gnom is offline Member

I was thinking the same as MB. Australia is, as far as I know, more difficult to enter. And once you are there you have to stay at least until you have the Aussie passport. With this paper the door to NZ is wide open. I would try to immigrate to NZ but when OZ is your destination then go there. I hope you find the best thing to do.
    Got Job offer in November 2007
    Got 3-years work visa valid to 15.01.2011 in Jan 08
    Landed in Wellington the 16th January 2008
    Work permit for my partner submitted the 26th Jan 08
    Loged EOI the 27th January 2008
    Was selected the 31st January 2008
    Work permit/visa granted for my partner the 20th Feb 08
    Loged my PR the 28th March 2008
    PR approved 23.07.2008

Cheers
    Gnom

IndianKrxcute is offline Junior Member

HI Gnom,

I am baddin from India.I am software engineer in india.I have contacted some agencies but they never consider me without WP/PR.

May i know which profession you are doing?.I am having 115 points without job offer and 5 Yrs of exp/My skillset is in LTSSL.

Please let me know how the success rate would be if i am lodging an EOI.

Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by gnom View Post
    I was thinking the same as MB. Australia is, as far as I know, more difficult to enter. And once you are there you have to stay at least until you have the Aussie passport. With this paper the door to NZ is wide open. I would try to immigrate to NZ but when OZ is your destination then go there. I hope you find the best thing to do.