Thread: Advice for a newbie!

chazuwe is offline Junior Member

Default Advice for a newbie!

Hi All,

Firstly apologies if I have posted this in the wrong sub forum, but I thought this post would fit here best.

Basically I was hoping some more experienced members might be able to give me some advice/guidence on what my chances are of getting accepted to work in New Zealand would be.

A bit of history about me, my first experience of NZ was some 10 years ago when I spent a month there as part of a round the world trip. At the time I thought it was amazing and is by far one of the favourate countries I have ever visited. Not just because of the fantastic scenery and varied landscapes, but also because of the genuine friendliness of the people that live there! I have always wanted to go back. Although in the past year or so I have been thinking I would like to work and live there rather than just a tourist visit...

I am unsure the best way to approach this, and this is where I am after some advice! I would also be interested to hear what my chances are of getting accepted with the following qualifications etc.

Sex: Male
    Profession: IT Professional
    Qualifications: Degree in Computing and Information Systems BSc (Hons)
    MCSA Microsoft Certified
    ITIL Foundation course
    Years Experience: 6

I see that certain IT area's are in shortage in NZ, but it is difficult to tell if my skill set falls within these.

Clearly I need to submit an EOI in the first instance but wanted to get some opinions first. Also I believe if you get a job offer in NZ this adds a healthy 50 points to your score?? Is it advisable to visit NZ on a holiday visa and speak to some potential employers regarding employment opportunities while you are there?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give
    Last edited by chazuwe; 09-08-2008 at 09:40 PM.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Hi - not sure if I can help much. Other forum members who are more up to date with IT will be along later. The first thing you would need to do (as I am sure you already know) is to see if your skills/qualifications are on the LTSSL. If so then you can complete your EOI. Sometimes you can hit the magic 140 without a job offer - depending on your skills etc... If not then a job offer will help boost these points. If you can only achieve 100 -135 points then you could still submit but it may take longer to be selected (unless you have a job offer!!). The first step if to find out of your qualifications/skills match those required. If you can't find your profession on the LTSSL you could always contact NZQA to assess your qualifications.

As I said - others with more knowledge of IT will be along later to help. Good luck with it all anyway.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Chazuwe and welcome.

I'm not in the know about all the IT job titles either to be able to tell if yours fits in with what is needed on the Long Term Skill Shortage List. If it isn't on the LTSSL then you won't be able to submit an EOI. You could then look on the Immediate Skill Shortage List and, if it is on there, you could apply for a Work Permit and work your way to residence, although certain conditions apply.

Many people have gone to NZ on a visit visa to look for work, although it is advisable that you don't make this obvious when you are entering NZ, as a visit visa is more for holidaying than anything else. Potential employers would be more likely to offer you a job when you are there in front of them, as it shows you are making a commitment to both them and the country. That's not to say that you couldn't also get a job offer without first going to NZ.

If you get a job offer and don't then want to return home, you can apply for a Work Permit which will quite quickly allow you to work in NZ and, if you find your job skills are on the LTSSL you could also submit your EOI. If they aren't on the LTSSL but are on the ISSL you can work to residence or if your new employer is accredited you could apply for a Work to Residence Visa.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks for the reply, Having had a look at the LTSSL I think my qualifications/experience would easily fall within the following categories:

Information Technology (IT) Professionals ICT Professionals 261111 to 263312 Degree-level (Level 7) qualification majoring in computer science, information science or information technology AND three years of relevant work experience Degree-level qualification (Level 7) majoring in computer science, information science or information technology

Information Technology (IT) Professionals ICT Customer Support Officer (Technical advice and Consultancy) 313112 Degree-level (Level 7) qualification majoring in computer science, information science or information technology AND three years of relevant work experience Degree-level qualification (Level 7) majoring in computer science, information science or information technology

Is it best to just submit the EOI and see what happens? I may just do that and dependant on the result may try and secure a job either from the UK or take a vacation to NZ to approach employers directly to boost my points....

Can I approach NZQA directly too see how my qualifications score before submitting an EOI??

Many thanks for the replies so far!

Regards

Charlie

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If you think your job skills are on the LTSSL and you have worked out that you have enough points, i.e. over 100, you can go ahead with your residency application. How many points have you got so far? A job offer would bump your score up nicely if you could get one, but it's not vital in order to submit an EOI if you already have 100+ points.

If you are unsure whether your qualifications match up to what INZ is looking for, you can apply to NZQA for verification, if you wish. You can check up on here to see if it warrants spending money on having it assessed. Here's a bit more about recognised qualifications.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks for that Motherbear, I have checked and my degree should award me 50 points off the bat. Think I will try one of those calculators and see what my points total.

What other things to you get points for?

Cheers,