Thread: Residence or Work to Residence?

pepiz is offline Junior Member

Default Residence or Work to Residence?

Hello to everybody!

My name is Pepi, I'm Macedonian citizen who spend eight years in USA(from 1998-2006). I'm a new member in this forum and we are waiting on NZIS decision for our Application to Residence lodged on 27 June 2008. I apply under SMC like an Electrician with Job offer from Invercargill, have NZQA level 4 Certificate or total 160 points on my EOI.

For my English proficiency I was hoping that my stay and relevant experience in USA will be enough to prove my English speaking ability, but I was wrong. Immigration officer want from me to take IELTS test, but I sat the test on 12 July and I got only overall score 5. The next IELTS exam in Skopje/Macedonia is on 28 September(that is to far) but if I sit again I'm not sure will pass or got 6.5 point. I didn't tell to immigration officer jet about my IELTS score.

My first question is do I'm qualify for WTR?

And second do I need ask my immigration officer to change my application to WTR or should wait to offer me WTR?

My employer is anxiously waiting for me because long time not able to find worker like me. I was wondering is he able to help me in some way, because he is wiling to do that, but I'm not sure how smart is that move in this stage on my application.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Pepiz and

Firstly I would ask if your new employer is accredited . That means they already have permission to employ people from overseas. If you needed to apply under the WTR category you must have a job offer from an accredited employer. Also the job must pay an annual salary of at least NZ$55,000.

Another question, if you are an electrician have you applied for registration in NZ? Certain occupations demand that you have NZ registration and electrician is one of them.

If you apply for a WTR the conditions are different to when INZ offers you one. If they offer you WTR instead of PR, it is usually to give you enough time to find a job and settle in NZ. If you apply for a WTR you have to work in the job for 2 years before you can apply for PR or at least until you have enough points for PR.

If you are desperate to get to NZ to start your job, you could apply for a Work Permit which is simpler and quicker and then try to find a way to apply for PR once you have been there for some time. It might be a good idea to take some English lessons to help you pass the IELTS, too. It is possible that INZ will grant you a WTR, or even PR, on condition that you take English lessons. I'm not sure how they go about this.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

pepiz is offline Junior Member

Hi Mother Bear
    I'm sorry to say this,but I'm little disappointed from your answer because obliviously you didn't spend enough time reading well my story.
    About registration for electrician is all done with EWRB from NZ.
    Please tell me where is that "job must pay an annual salary of at least NZ$55,000." on NZIS web.
    And I already pay application fee for PR, I don't want to pay one more fee for WP if I apply again.
    Taking English lessons and then trying one more time IELTS test for me to long and expensive. (For example my monthly earning is 215 euros and IELTS exam fee 130 euros.) Thats why I want ask immigration officer for WTR because I didn't see any English ability demand.
    Please tell me what's your thoughts on this.
    Sincerely
    Pepi

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pepiz View Post
    About registration for electrician is all done with EWRB from NZ.
    Yes, I know this but you need to prove you have registration so you can submit this with your application.

Please tell me where is that "job must pay an annual salary of at least NZ$55,000." on NZIS web.
    You were asking about the WTR. You can see on here under Talent (Accredited Employer) Residence Policy that it mentions the $55,000 salary. I guess, if you apply under the LTSSL you wouldn't need that. Maybe I was forgetting you have the ability to apply under this category. I tend to answer a lot of queries during the course of a day, so don't be too hard on me .

And I already pay application fee for PR, I don't want to pay one more fee for WP if I apply again.
    I suggested the WP because you sounded desperate to get to NZ to start work. The WP can run alongside your application for residency and is just a quick way of getting you into the country and working. It was only a suggestion and it's up to you whether you want to pay out for a WP or wait until your PR comes through, which could be several months.

Taking English lessons and then trying one more time IELTS test for me to long and expensive. (For example my monthly earning is 215 euros and IELTS exam fee 130 euros.) Thats why I want ask immigration officer for WTR because I didn't see any English ability demand.
    Reading this it does say that you won't need the English language requirement for WTR but any partner or children do. I don't know if this affects you or not. I find it very strange that someone applying under the SMC needs to prove their language ability, yet someone applying for a WTR doesn't, although they could both be doing the same job. Anyway, it looks like you could go the WTR route if INZ won't accept the SMC route. Perhaps you can contact them to ask their advice. Sometimes they bend the rules a little if they need your skills badly enough and they might let your current application go through.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

daveym is offline Junior Member

i think you were a bit rude pepi to mother bear.not suprised your ielts score was 5,you clearly didnt understand MB reply.i think motherbear knows exactly what she is saying and doing.clearly take her advice.