Thread: Using agent

happydays is offline Junior Member

Default Using agent

Hello to everybody on the forum, my first post of probably many so please be patient with me.
    We are finally in the position to apply for PR after many years bringing up the family etc Today I received a job offer and can get things moving. My very first question is, I have read this forum everyday for the last 4 months and it seems that you dont need an agent to submit an application. However, I had an indisgretion many years ago in NZ which led to me being repatriated to Uk. My indisgretion was being a ship deserter in 1980 which was quite common in those days.
    I have been advised to use an agent for my application as they will know how to word things in a better way. Does anybody know if this would be a problem if I was to submit an application myself?
    Any help much apprieciated.

Thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Happydays. Glad to have you aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by happydays View Post
    My indisgretion was being a ship deserter in 1980 which was quite common in those days.
    Oh, that's something a bit different. Don't think we've had anything like this before. I'm not sure how INZ would look upon that kind of situation as I don't know the background to it. It was also a long time ago. What the Operations Manual says is:

A5.25 Applicants normally ineligible for a residence visa or permit unless granted a character waiver

Applicants who will not normally be issued with a residence visa or granted a residence permit, unless granted a character waiver (see A5.25.1(b) below), include any person who has been:

1. convicted at any time of any offence against the immigration, citizenship or passport laws of any country; or
    2. convicted at any time of any offence involving prohibited drugs; or
    3. convicted at any time of any offence involving dishonesty; or
    4. convicted at any time of any offence of a sexual nature; or
    5. convicted at any time of any offence for which they were sentenced to a term of imprisonment (whether the sentence was of immediate effect or was deferred or was suspended in whole or in part); or
    6. convicted (whether in New Zealand or not) of an offence committed at any time when the applicant was in New Zealand unlawfully or was the holder of a temporary permit or was exempt under the Act from the requirement to hold a permit, being an offence for which the Court has power to impose imprisonment for a term of 3 months or more; or
    7. convicted at any time of any offence involving violence; or
    8. convicted at any time during the last five years, of an offence (including a traffic offence), involving dangerous driving, driving having consumed excessive alcohol (including drunk driving and driving with a blood or breath alcohol content in excess of a specified limit) or driving having consumed drugs; or
    9. in the course of applying for a New Zealand visa or permit, has made any statement or provided any information, evidence or submission that was false, misleading or forged, or withheld material information; or
    10. at any time in a public speech or public comments, or public broadcast, or in publicly distributing or publishing a document:
    1. argues that one race or colour is inherently inferior or superior to another race or colour, or
    2. used language intended to encourage hostility or ill will against any person or group of persons on the basis of colour, race or ethnic or national origins of that person or group; or
    11. has been, or is, a member of (or adheres or has adhered to) any organisation or group of people which (at the time of the person's membership or adherence) had objectives or principles based on:
    1. hostility against people or groups of people on the basis of colour, race, or ethnic or national origins, or
    2. an assumption that persons of a particular race or colour are inherently inferior or superior to other races or colours.
    12. in support of any application by another person for a New Zealand visa or permit, has made any statement or provided any information, evidence or submission that was false, misleading or forged.

Were you actually convicted of an offence at the time or just deported? It may be that you would need to apply for a character waiver if INZ won't accept that your 'indiscretion' (what a nice word for it ) happened many years ago and you have been of good character since. Perhaps you could email them or give them a ring to enquire about this and they may be able to give you some advice about which way to go.

You say you have a job offer and are about to apply for PR, so I assume that you have certain skills that NZ needs. With a bit of luck this may sway INZ into helping you find a way to continue with this process as they may need you as much as you need them. INZ is quite strict on health and character matters where applying for residency is concerned but they aren't totally inflexible. If you've had a blemish-free police record since 1980 (and I don't include the odd traffic offence etc.) that should stand you in good stead. I still don't think it warrants spending a lot of money on an agent just for them to use some fancy words in your defence. If the worst comes to the worst, it says you can apply for a character waiver so you would still have a way in. We'll try to help you through it.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

happydays is offline Junior Member

Many thanks Motherbear.
    yes I have a skill on Long term shortage list namely Fitter/Turner and
    have been offered a job with an accredited employer. I am not sure if it was a criminal offence or just repatriation (deportation) as it was a long time ago, all I know is my mate who jumped ship with me has been back in NZ for 25 years and is now a citizen.
    I will email INZ to ask the question, as live near London would that be the office that would deal with my application? if so does anyone know what email address I should use to get to the right person/advice?
    Cant wait to get to NZ now but not looking forward to the paperwork.

Happydays

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by happydays View Post
    I will email INZ to ask the question, as live near London would that be the office that would deal with my application? if so does anyone know what email address I should use to get to the right person/advice?
    I would imagine you would apply through the London branch. If people as far away as America can apply via London, I'm sure you can .

Good luck with the response.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.