Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Claiming experience instead of qualifications?

PieterK is offline Junior Member

Default Claiming experience instead of qualifications?

Hi guys

I have 8 years of experience in the IT field, & I have several IT vendor certificates, as well as a diploma from a South African college that I found out is not accredited in NZ. On the ANZSCO it states:

"UNI T GROU P 263 1 COMP U T E R NETWOR K PROF E S S I O N A L S
    COMPUTER NETWORK PROFESSIONALS
    research, analyse and recommend strategies for network architecture and development, implement, manage, maintain and configure network hardware and software, and monitor and optimise performance, and troubleshoot and provide user support.

Indicative Skill Level:
    In Australia and New Zealand:
    Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience and/or relevant vendor certification may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job raining may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1)."

So does that mean I can claim points om my EOI based on my experience & vendor certs instead on having an accredited degree/diploma?

I've searched everywhere for this answer, but have'nt found it yet, so if enyone can help me I'd be eternally greatful.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Pieter, to MTNZ.

I'm not very well up on the workings of the different types of qualifications but found this about claiming points for work experience . Perhaps someone can assist with the certificates issue.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks for the welcome Mamma Bear. What I'm really asking is this: on the EOI where they ask for qualifications, can I claim for the required qualifications, even though I don't strictly speaking have them, because the ANZSCO says that 5 years experience can be substituted?

Alternatively, can someone recommend a good agent that handles cases on a by-question basis that might be able to help me? I really can't afford to pay for a full service now.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Pieter,

If you don't actually have the qualification, then you shouldn't claim points for it. What happens instead is that you claim points for experience. The substitution of qualification for experience means that if you aren't formally qualified to do a job, then you should at least be 'qualified' through experience. It's just a preventative measure to stop people with no qualifications OR experience claiming they are an IT professional or whatever else!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

PieterK

Worst case you can get a qualification assessment or that is what I did. This is not necessary from NZQA but under their approval by some established authority. This would be at your expense. I had 20 years of IT experience at the time but my qualification wasn't on the approved list. I went to a polytechnic where the teaching staff evaluated my skills and knowledge. It was several long interviews by multiple staff to test me in different areas. It wasn't too hard but very thorough.

In the end hey accepted the evaluation of the staff that said I had the knowledge equivalent to a person who had a New Zealand 3 year degree and my qualification was accepted at the time by NZQA.

I really did know my stuff and had some excellent training and experience over the years from IBM. I had an impressive CV as well just no sheepskin from the right university if you understand.

I worked with a guy from Sri Lanka that had the same thing done so this is how I learned about it. When my case officer mentioned I knew what the process was. I was a little nervous but knew i had required knowledge.

This was a few years ago but am betting he same option exists today.

I hope this helps.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Hi Taffy & Cliff

Thanks a lot for the replies. Cliff I will try & find out about the method you used, do you think I should just contact a few training institutions in New Zealand? I thought about using NZQA, but they don't recognise vendor qualifications.

Blog Entries

NZQA would be involved at some point. They may be a good point of first contact.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand

fevziye99 is offline Member

Hi PieterK:

Diplomas would not be much worth (as in points recognition) but nonetheless, it is better to get them assessed. Your best bet is to capitalize on your IT certifications. If you have a multi-facet certification background (MCSE, CCNA, Citrix, etc.) you can use this to your advantage by applying for job, where you are highlighting your skills set. A college degree though nice, to many empoyers really wouldn't really matter 'that' much (IMHO) as your experience and ability to work in their environment would, with the added safety that the employer knows that you are 'certified'.

Give the IT Certifications+Job Offer a go and I am sure you will ping the point scale.

Best of Luck.
    EOI Applied 14th June, 2008 (150 Points, No Job Offer)
    EOI Selected 18th June, 2008
    ITA Received via email on 21st July 2008 (yay!)
    ITA Filed 12th January 2009.
    ITA 'lost'
    On a mission to find the ITA at the local post office! :)

Blog Entries

I guess the bottom line is do you have the skills. There a lot of people who have the qualification and know nothing. There are also a lot of people who know a lot and have no formal degree or certification.

If you have the knowledge (and work experience to back it up) you should be able to be accessed in some way. I do know about the EOI as this is new to me. They use this a s a screening process and may be more picky.

Having been in IT for 30 year I well understand the issue. Sometime you can know something and even be an expert in something there is no qualification for because it is so new the universities have no curriculum and even be in hot demand by the market place.

Has anyone else had contact with NZQA on this issue? My knowledgee may be a bit dated and don't want to send someone on the wrong path.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand

Cliff, I know exactly what you're talking about, unfortunately I need to claim points for having at least a basic qualification in IT in order to qualify for a visa. I think the problem is the rules aren't made by anyone who has any actual IT knowledge, it's just a bunch of bureaucrats & I detect an awful lot of snob value involved in the rule-making. Like over-estimating the value of a degree, & completely underestimating the value of vendor qualifications which I found to be of much more value in the real world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast