Thread: Good Character

AHoney is offline Junior Member

Default Good Character

Back in 1997 I got involved in a student demo which ended up getting arrested and charged with common assault on a policeman - I actually knocked off his helmet! I actually got a 12 month conditional discharge and a 25 compensation (for a bruise, I may or may not have caused, he was playing rugby the day before!)Anyway, I obviously have had to declare this on the EOI form but I know it shouldnt be too much of an issue as since then I have become a secondary school teacher and a member of the GTC professional body for teachers. However, my question is will this delay the initial application to apply (My hubby has 195 points on the EOI)? If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by AHoney; 25-06-2008 at 02:15 AM.
    Are we there yet!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

These are the offences laid down as possibly needing a character waiver, which would probably hold things up a little while if you need to get one. Have a read through and see if you fit in anywhere. I guess it would depend on what you were protesting about and how INZ look on it. It sounds very lightweight though and quite a long time ago, but you never can tell with that lot. Just plead 'folly of youth'. That'll sort it .

A5.25 Applicants normally ineligible for a residence visa or permit unless granted a character waiver

Applicants who will not normally be issued with a residence visa or granted a residence permit, unless granted a character waiver (see A5.25.1(b) below), include any person who has been:

1. convicted at any time of any offence against the immigration, citizenship or passport laws of any country; or
    2. convicted at any time of any offence involving prohibited drugs; or
    3. convicted at any time of any offence involving dishonesty; or
    4. convicted at any time of any offence of a sexual nature; or
    5. convicted at any time of any offence for which they were sentenced to a term of imprisonment (whether the sentence was of immediate effect or was deferred or was suspended in whole or in part); or
    6. convicted (whether in New Zealand or not) of an offence committed at any time when the applicant was in New Zealand unlawfully or was the holder of a temporary permit or was exempt under the Act from the requirement to hold a permit, being an offence for which the Court has power to impose imprisonment for a term of 3 months or more; or
    7. convicted at any time of any offence involving violence; or
    8. convicted at any time during the last five years, of an offence (including a traffic offence), involving dangerous driving, driving having consumed excessive alcohol (including drunk driving and driving with a blood or breath alcohol content in excess of a specified limit) or driving having consumed drugs; or
    9. in the course of applying for a New Zealand visa or permit, has made any statement or provided any information, evidence or submission that was false, misleading or forged, or withheld material information; or
    10. at any time in a public speech or public comments, or public broadcast, or in publicly distributing or publishing a document:
    1. argues that one race or colour is inherently inferior or superior to another race or colour, or
    2. used language intended to encourage hostility or ill will against any person or group of persons on the basis of colour, race or ethnic or national origins of that person or group; or
    11. has been, or is, a member of (or adheres or has adhered to) any organisation or group of people which (at the time of the person's membership or adherence) had objectives or principles based on:
    1. hostility against people or groups of people on the basis of colour, race, or ethnic or national origins, or
    2. an assumption that persons of a particular race or colour are inherently inferior or superior to other races or colours.
    12. in support of any application by another person for a New Zealand visa or permit, has made any statement or provided any information, evidence or submission that was false, misleading or forged.

Taffy! I didn't know thugs were allowed on this forum.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Well I suppose it does constitute a violent offence, because it was never proved or disapproved if I bruised his leg. However, I have to say it has not stopped from training to teach or get a job or be a member of the GTC who have very strict guidelines on this kind of thing. Is there anyone I can talk to on the phone about this, seems pointless to put in EOI and pay for it, if there is a chance this pathetic incident (which always comes back to haunt me) will stop the whole process
    Are we there yet!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

You could always ring someone at the INZ branch you will be dealing with if you're really worried about it. As you had a conditional discharge and nothing more serious, I would really hope that INZ would have more sense than to take you to task about it, especially as it was a one-of offence. The worst scenario would be that you have to apply for a waiver, but I suspect it wouldn't even come to that. How many people in their drunken youth have taken a pop at someone? Not that I'm saying you were drunk, of course , but you get my drift. NZ would be half empty of migrants if every little scuffle had to be taken into consideration.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    You could always ring someone at the INZ branch you will be dealing with if you're really worried about it. As you had a conditional discharge and nothing more serious, I would really hope that INZ would have more sense than to take you to task about it, especially as it was a one-of offence. The worst scenario would be that you have to apply for a waiver, but I suspect it wouldn't even come to that. How many people in their drunken youth have taken a pop at someone? Not that I'm saying you were drunk, of course , but you get my drift. NZ would be half empty of migrants if every little scuffle had to be taken into consideration.
    Thanks for your kind words of reassurance, youre right it was a conditional discharge which in fact meant it was 'spent' after the year. However, because I am a teacher it does come up on enhanced police records and I must admit even now after 11 years it winds me up! However, if I was ever any threat I wouldnt be allowed to teach children. I think I will leave it and deal with it when they contact me.
    Are we there yet!

fevziye99 is offline Member

You knocked a bobby over! :)

I'll drink to that ;)
    EOI Applied 14th June, 2008 (150 Points, No Job Offer)
    EOI Selected 18th June, 2008
    ITA Received via email on 21st July 2008 (yay!)
    ITA Filed 12th January 2009.
    ITA 'lost'
    On a mission to find the ITA at the local post office! :)