Thread: Skilled migrant or LTBV

greg&co is offline Junior Member

Default Skilled migrant or LTBV

Hi all,
    I am new here, but so far found most info here.
    Maybe someone will be able to help me to solve this: currently I am GM for a small company and I would like to move to NZ and buy a restaurant here (I know it is hard work, but it is what I was dreaming of doing for long time). As there is no shortages for GM position in NZ I see two options.
    1. Try LTBV, but I am afraid I will not be so lucky as Macfod.
    2. Talk to the restaurant owner that I will decide to buy and offer him a deal that I would like to get an offer of employement and later, after PR I will purchase business from him. I have 6 years of experience of running different companies, but only 2 years of running restaurants in the past.
    Does this sound OK, or it is not realistic?
    Thank you in advance.

fevziye99 is offline Member

Candidly, not too realistic a scenario, however, I'm just going to negate myself. I am a firm believer you should do what you have always dreamed of, but be realistic. Your 'dream' job/work, etc. should be something you can compliment with your real-life experiences and skills.

In your scenario, I would suggest, you learn up more and interact more before making a decision and trodding down that path. Perhaps you can apply under the Skilled Migrant program if your GM work experience would contribute towards it.
    EOI Applied 14th June, 2008 (150 Points, No Job Offer)
    EOI Selected 18th June, 2008
    ITA Received via email on 21st July 2008 (yay!)
    ITA Filed 12th January 2009.
    ITA 'lost'
    On a mission to find the ITA at the local post office! :)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greg&co View Post
    2. Talk to the restaurant owner that I will decide to buy and offer him a deal that I would like to get an offer of employement and later, after PR I will purchase business from him. I have 6 years of experience of running different companies, but only 2 years of running restaurants in the past.
    Does this sound OK, or it is not realistic?
    Hi Greg & Co. If you decide not to go down the LTBV route, but you can find your job title on the Long Term Skill Shortage List, you could submit an application under the Skilled Migrant Category. If you managed to get PR with that and didn't have any conditions attached to it, you could then do what you want job-wise. You would be able to purchase a restaurant and run it. If you weren't able to apply via the SMC it would be a different story and you might have to take a chance at the LTBV. If you are able to apply under the SMC but haven't quite got enough points, you would need a job offer, but it would depend what kind of offer you would get from a restaurant owner and whether it would be suitable to give you enough extra points.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Greg & CO

Now is a difficult time to start a business. People are having less discretionary income so they will eat out less. Be careful....

Cliff
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Lets be careful out there!

Hi Gregg,
    As Cliff mentioned running a business at the moment has got to the difficult stages with locals having less disposable incomes to eat out.

We were not in a business like this before and must say find it damn hard work for little return.
    However, the fruits of hard work are paying off and this is the hardest time of the year with few tourist to boost business.
    Turnover is done but profit up with planning and hard work...and still we employ five staff!

We have learnt a lot in the past 15 months and cannot wait for the end of the 2year period to come round with plans already being made at the first 2 year period as this is not us going forward..
    We have given a lot back to date and will be pushing for our PR before we invest any more time and money in NZ as the thought of them not wanting us after two years would give us no choice but to leave as we as business people have to have our own plan...

But, good luck whatever you decide..

greg&co is offline Junior Member

Default Thank you!

Thank you all for the information. It is good to get advice from the people who were/ are in the same situation.
    Bad thing that there is no shortage for my skills, so LTBV is the only option.
    Special Thanks to Macfod for all the information. Appreciate it!
    Now back to work, more planning and research.

victorhaupt is offline Junior Member

Default Medical help on LTBV

Hey guys, We arrived on a LTBV in May. Have been so busy have not looked in the site since.
    Loving it here so far and the Cycle shop is going great.
    Let me know if we can help with any LTBV applications. We were approved in 10 days.
    On the medical or health care side? How do we get medical help on our three year visas?
    Are there dentists we can use on public health?

Victor

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Victor,

Good to know you're settling in well in Tauranga and have your business under way. Macfod can confirm or deny this but I believe, because your LTBV is for more than 1 year, you are entitled to the same health benefits as those with PR or long term WPs. You still have to pay a fee, the same as everyone else, but it wouldn't be as much as a tourist or someone on a 1-year visa would have to pay.

Under the state healthcare scheme, a flat rate is levied for each visit to a doctor, irrespective of the nature of the visit. The basic consultation fee is from $45 to $55 and visits at night and weekends cost $10 to $15 extra. Visits to a GP are subsidised by $15 for children aged 6-17 and by $35 for children under six. Some GPs waive the fee for treating children under six.

Adults who visit the doctor often or who receive social benefits receive a $15 subsidy. If you have a Community Services Card, a doctor’s visit costs $15 to $20 for an adult and around $10 for a child over five. If you need to visit the doctor frequently (at least 12 times a year), you can apply for a High Use Health Card from your doctor, which entitles you to the same reductions as a CSC.

Dentists are a different matter. Most dentists in New Zealand are in private practice, as the public health scheme doesn’t extend to dentistry, except in the case of children. Children at primary schools see a school dental nurse and many primary schools have a dental surgery on the premises. Reading through this previous thread will give you some idea of costs.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Default yep indeed!

MB
    Right as always.

This is with the letter and work permit issued with work permit..

Whilst on LTBV your notwhile in New Zealand on a work permit issued under the Long Term Business category, you are not legally entitled to access benefits through the Social Security Act or Family Support through the Inland Revenue Department (IRD) of New Zealand.