Thread: EOI Question--Opinions

myhomischi is offline Junior Member

Question EOI Question--Opinions

I am interested in moving to New Zealand. I am an attorney in the US with what I think NZ will consider a doctorate degree. I noted that law is not on the long term skills list--so you think I will have enough points? My legal experience is a mix of law and social work (social work is on the list). I have no job offers currently. Thoughts??

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Myhomischi.

I can't see anything for law on the Immediate Skill Shortage List either. With it not appearing on the LTSSL list, you would probably have to find a different way into NZ as you can't claim points and submit and EOI if your job title isn't on there. Perhaps you could try the Work to Residence Category , but you would need a job offer from an accredited company and a salary of NZ55,000 or over (I believe it has just gone up from $50k). It's a longer route because you have to work for 2 years in that occupation before getting PR.

This and this tell you a bit about the WTR route and what is required.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

fevziye99 is offline Member

I'm not sure if Attorneys are equated to a Doctorates degree (scholastically speaking). YOu might want to check with NZQA (New Zealand Qualification Authority) to do an assessment which would be required.

New Zealand Qualifications Authority [ NZQA ]

Default thanks

Thanks for the tips. In New Zealand, is a law degree an undergraduate degree? I notice the law schools offer a master's degree which is only 1 year of study. I have studied 4 years undergraduate and 3 years of law--ideas of how that will translate? I'll check New Zealand Qualifications Authority [ NZQA ] but am interested in feedback.
    Thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I know nothing about the legal system in NZ (and hope to keep it that way ) but here's a few links to read through which might give you some idea what is involved in becoming qualified and the structure of the system. I don't know if they will answer your questions, but it's worth a try .

Here, here and here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Thanks again

Mother Bear, thanks for the links. I'll take a look. Glad to hear you are not too familiar with the legal system. Unless you are an attorney that usually is a good thing

htcesq2 is offline Member

I'm so glad to see another attorney considering a move to NZ. I'm an attorney, too. I've been practicing (immigration law) out of NYC for too long, in my judgment. and I'm ready to quit.

I've been researching NZ immigration for a while. The biggest hurdle for foreign attorneys is the registration requirement that must be met in order to claim points for your experience. At a cost of about $500.00 I had my legal credentials evaluated and was advised by the authorities to take three courses at an accredited law school in NZ, and pass two of the six components of the NZ Bar. I didn't receive my first law degree from a US school. I did do an LL.M. here which has been equated to a master's degree by the NZ Qualification Authority.

Your best bet is to look for a position in law teaching, or any other law-related area that requires a law degree but not registration as a lawyer.

I'd very much like to exchange notes on immigration, job prospects. winding up US practice etc. with you.

Good luck!

Taufiq