Thread: EOI - Work Advice Required

fevziye99 is offline Member

Default EOI - Work Advice Required

Folks:

Two questions...

1. DO you get extra points if the principal applicant has IELTS scores of 6.5 or better - if yes, how many points? (we are currently at 135 without the employment factor taken into consideration).

2. My hubby has a Bachelors/Masters in Electrical Engineering - Specializing in ICT (Information and Communication Technology) - (both on the Short-term and Long-term Skills Shortage List)... would a work permit still be required if he opts not to do a job, but self-employment (i.e. start a business/consultancy within the same domain)?

Thanks in Advance.

Fevz.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Fevz and welcome to MTNZ.

I don't think you can claim extra points for the IELTS. If you look on here and here you can see what points are awarded for.

You talk about your hubby getting a WP and being self-employed. He wouldn't be permitted to work for himself on just a WP. He would need to get PR without any conditions before he could do that. Once he has PR he should be OK to do more or less what he likes.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

MB - thank you for the welcome and the answers. SO am I correct to assume a residency is given without any conditions and then a work permit is applied for when one arrives in NZ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fevziye99 View Post
    SO am I correct to assume a residency is given without any conditions and then a work permit is applied for when one arrives in NZ?
    No, PR is sometimes granted with conditions attached e.g. Sec.18A which says that the applicant should work for the employer named in his/her job offer for a period of at least 3 months. There are other conditions that can be imposed but Sec.18A is one of the most common.

For someone who wants to apply for PR and has the necessary skills/job title contained in the Long Term Skills Shortage List, they can go ahead and submit an EOI providing they have sufficient points i.e. 100+.

If, for some reason, someone needs to start work quickly, before the PR comes through, or can't apply for PR directly (because they don't have the skills or enough points), they can apply for a WP to allow them to work either while waiting for the PR to be finalised or in order to gain enough NZ work experience to enable them to then apply for PR.

I'm sorry, I'm not quite clear about what context you talk about WP and PR so I find it difficult to give a clear answer.
    Mother Bear

Mother Bear,

Thank you for taking the timeout to reply.

To rephrase my question - my OH has a score of 135 (without a job offer). His skills set (of ICT) falls in both the short/long-term skills set shortage list.

With 135 on the score, "if" (emphasis supplied) an ITA is given, I assume my OH can aply for PR, without having a job offer?

Blog Entries

Anyone with a score of 100 points or more and with qualifications/work experience on the Long Term Skill Shortage List can apply for residency. The more points they have the better chance they have of being selected. A job offer is not a requirement for applying for PR although it is for some other types of visa, like the WP and Work to Residence.
    Mother Bear

Mother Bear, thank you for the clarification.

pryann is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Nzqa Done?

Hi fevziye99 ,
    Question: Has he done NZQA Full assessment for his qualification? take note if NZQA assessment is below Level 8/9 then he could claim 50 points for education but he is not entitle to claim bonus point for Long/shor term List and in some other area. I am in ICT as well.
    I hope this info. could help you.

Quote Originally Posted by pryann View Post
    Hi fevziye99 ,
    Question: Has he done NZQA Full assessment for his qualification? take note if NZQA assessment is below Level 8/9 then he could claim 50 points for education but he is not entitle to claim bonus point for Long/shor term List and in some other area. I am in ICT as well.
    I hope this info. could help you.

Thank you for the NZQA. No he has not done it. But after having gone through the short-term and long-term skills set, eduation, etc. without a job offer it lands at 135 - so we are thinking of going ahead with that and have applied.

But now that I know of the NZQA process, I shall do the same in parallel.