Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we need to use consultants?

AHoney is offline Junior Member

Default Do we need to use consultants?

We have been thinking about moving to New Zealand since 2003 and in a few weeks time my hubby has an interview with the New Zealand Navy. I think on paper he has the job as the interview is for both of us and our commitment to the move. However, whilst doing the research I have always come across sites saying that you need to use consultants to guarantee a smooth process! Is this true? Or can we do it ourselves? The reason that stops me really is the cost on top of the initial cost of over 2,000.00 for starting the visa process. Has anybody else used a consultant? Any advice will be greatfully recieved.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

No you don't need to use a consultant. That's why forums such as this exist - folks just can't or don't want to pay out that sort of money which could be put to better use. You would still end up having to collate all the information together and doing a certain amount of the process yourself anyway so it still wouldn't be a painless process. A consultant might be useful if your situation was very complex, but I would think a job in the NZ Navy would open the door to a fairly easy path for you.

If you need help with any part of the process, just ask on here. We're open 24/7 and don't cost an arm and a leg. Come to think of it, we don't cost anything at all .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

AHoney is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    If you need help with any part of the process, just ask on here. We're open 24/7 and don't cost an arm and a leg. Come to think of it, we don't cost anything at all .
    Thanks Mother Bear, those were my thoughts and I am really glad that I found this site Its just a very daunting process and expensive too! But I believe the Navy reimburse you once you get there!

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

We have gone through the process without a consultant and although it can be daunting if you have a job then it is usually quite plain sailing. Good luck.

Oops 'sailing' just realised - NZ Navy
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

What ARE we going to do with you, Nicky?

AHoney, if you search for "consultants" in the forum, you're sure to find some of our discussions about this. They definitely aren't necessary, and they are expensive. Good luck!
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Unless you have a problem application you can do it yourself. You may be tempted because you want to do it the best you can. You will be more personal with everyone and will know what is going on first hand.

Cheers,

Cliff
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Just wanted to add my 5p worth.

We had no job offer, and decided that we couldn't really afford the 2k that a consultant would charge, and have done it alone (with the help of everyone here!!).

Had no problems ... and after lots of waiting, have had our application approved. With a job offer, will be a lot quicker and easier too!

all the best,

Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou View Post
    Just wanted to add my 5p worth.
    I thought it was tuppence (2p) worth, or do you just have 2.5% more worth of advice?

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Hi Honey, I'm home!

Sorry, couldn't resist that. I'll add my weight to the DIY brigade. If you did use a consultant, you would have to supply them with exactly the same information and documents that you'll have to send to NZIS. Save the money, do it yourself and be amazed at just how fantastic you are!

Don't forget that the Navy will also be able to help you if they offer your hubby a job. Surely they wouldn't go to the trouble of recruiting him, then abandon you to sort out your own visas.....

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    I thought it was tuppence (2p) worth, or do you just have 2.5% more worth of advice?
    Wouldn't that be 150% more advice?

I think to be fair to the consultants out there that are actually good, it's not really just a case of sending the documents to them for them to lodge it on your behalf, as that would be a bit pointless. If they are any good, they should assess your case thouroughly and in the end you should be left with an iron clad application thats not open to speculation and guesswork. The biggest problem with consultants is the the cost, and who to trust as there's many sharks out there. The biggest problem with doing it yourself is that it usually takes longer, going backwards and forwards with this document and that document as and when requested.

In short:
    DIY is great, as it doesn't cost and is straight forward enough or sometimes with a bit of help, but usually takes longer and is open to some problems in some cases.

Going through a consultant costs, but if they are reputable (very important!!) is usually quicker and has a high chance of being successful. I think consultants should only be used if your case is complicated though, as your average application is usually straight forward and not worth the expense.

I'm in fair mode today
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast