Thread: Any chance at all ?

sadoldgit is offline Junior Member

Default Any chance at all ?

Hi,
    Our daughter is a resident of NZ, applying for citizenship. Our son intends to emigrate as soon as he qualifies as a teacher of dance. I am 59 and a business adviser for a Quango (plus HGV licence), my wife is 56 and a school administrator. We have assets totalling ?400K. We want to move to NZ next year and I am very pessimistic that we shall be allowed in. However, my wife points to many examples of others making successful applications. How do they do it? Is there any chance that we can achieve our dream? Please help!
    Last edited by sadoldgit; 03-04-2008 at 09:47 AM.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Assuming that you only have the 2 children (to meet the centre of gravity rule), if your daughter meets the required terms (held residency for 3 years, earning $50k+ per year etc) then she should be able to sponsor you! It's a straight forward application, but it can be a very lengthy one.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

From one Sadoldgitess to a Sadoldgit, welcome to the forum.

If your daughter has been in NZ and held residency for long enough to qualify for citizenship, she should be able to sponsor you. Ideally all your children should be in NZ but if you have one in NZ and one in the UK, you can still apply.

This is a quick check for sponsorship under the Family (Parent) Category .

Recently a minimum income clause was inserted which sponsors have to comply with.

Perhaps you can have a read through this and click on a few links to learn more about the process. Feel free to ask questions as I'm hoping to go through the same process when the time is right.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

sadoldgit is offline Junior Member

Thanks, Taffy and Mother Bear for your encouraging responses. So there is hope then I had been told that the "family migrant quota" has been set at zero for the past couple of years. Good luck with your own application MB

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

It would have been good to know that we would also have had the option of entering the family quota draw, which is a bit like a lottery and available to those who can't get in any other way, but sadly it seems to have been dropped for the last couple of years and shows no signs of returning. It was another string to our bow if we failed in the normal family sponsorship category.

Thanks for the good wishes, Sadoldgit. Hope things will go well for you now you have something to aim for.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.