Thread: teacher registration

WalesRandall is offline Junior Member

Default teacher registration

Hi,
    We are about to tackle the EOI form. If anyone can help I would be really grateful. When do I have to submit all the paper work eg police checks, medical evidence etc? Also there is talk of having to get registration with NZ teaching council. Is all this needed when / if I'm invited to apply or earlier ?

Thanks

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

All documentation is handed in with your ITA not your EOI. Can't help you with the teacher regsitration (I am a nurse) but there are teachers on the forum who can answer that. For what it is worth I had to have my nursing registration to hand in with my ITA.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi,

Here's a site relating to teacher registration which may throw some light on the subject but, as Nicky says, you wouldn't need this until you've been invited to apply for residency.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

I've been through the teacher registration process.

You should begin as soon as you complete your EOI. Don't wait until you have your ITA, as it can take months to gather up your paperwork and get your application processed.

Also, do everything within your power to get Subject to Confirmation, rather than Provisional, registration. (They've recently made it easier, which is good news.) That might make it easier for you to find a job.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

WalesRandall is offline Junior Member

Thank you guys,
    Kiwi Hopeful, does that mean you are teaching in NZ? If so is there anything else that I need to know about the applying? How do you find teaching over there and is it fairly easy to get employment? Sorry to bombard you with questions but I am a bit in the dark about the practicalities of working over there and with a family to support finances are obviously critical to whether we go for it or not!

Cheers

duane1x is offline Member

You might read KH's thread here to get started. I don't know all the politics involved but it hasn't been smooth sailing.

More than a bit discouraged

Kahu is offline Junior Member

Default Overseas trained teachers

You may try this site......which has the relevant information you require, or at least put you on the right track. I would endorse KiwiHopeful's point about trying to get Subject to confirmation registration rather than Provisional.....it does make your employment chances better. I'm a retired Principal and have STC registration too, just to keep my hand in...
    TeachNZ - Overseas trained teachers

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

When I was hunting around looking for something else I came upon this which sheds a different light on the matter of registration.

Registration
    Please note that if your job offer is one that requires registration (please check the EOI guide) you must have full or provisional registration before you lodge an Expression of Interest. This is also required if you have a partner who holds an offer of employment in a registerable position
    If you do not have registration you cannot claim points for skilled employment in New Zealand and may also lose points for qualifications and work experience. In most cases no registration will lead to the EOI being returned back to the pool or declined
    Please note there are some registration boards (i.e. electrical and most medical professions), which will not give provisional registration to offshore applicants. Applicants in this situation are advised to secure New Zealand work visas and lodge an Expression of Interest from New Zealand once you have registration. Please investigate the Work to Residence policy on our website for other migration options.

From here .

I'm surprised someone didn't pick up on this.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

The date on that document is 2004. It may be an old policy.

That said, if you are serious about coming to NZ, there's no reason not to go ahead and get the teacher registration taken care of before you submit your EoI... the registration is good for 3 years.

FWIW, I didn't have my registration completed before I submitted my EoI.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008