Thread: Couple of questions

cheeky kea is offline Junior Member

Default Couple of questions

Hi,
    We have just started filling out our EOI and wondered if anyone can help out with a few queries.

1. We are applying under the skilled migrant category. My husband (principal applicant) is an electronic engineer which is listed on the longterm skills list. To qualify for 'recognised work experience - G1' can one only include working in electronics or does previous role in computing also count? Or can one include this under G4 'years of work experience in an absolute skills shortage'

2. Has anyone seen any more info on defining A20 'what Industry is your main occupation in'? There is a list on online EOI but no guidance and its not clear which we should choose.

3. Taxation number - Where can one find this or is it not applicable to UK residents? I presume its separate to NI (social security) no.

4. This may seem a silly question but it's not obvious...
    What option does one choose if English is your mother tongue?! The guidance notes don't seem to define this. We could tick study for a recognised qualification in English.

We have 135 points without job offers - do we stand a fair chance of being selected?

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Cheeky Kea

Mel John is offline Member

Smile

Hi there Cheeky Kea & welcome

Quote Originally Posted by cheeky kea View Post
    Hi,
    We have just started filling out our EOI and wondered if anyone can help out with a few queries.

1. We are applying under the skilled migrant category. My husband (principal applicant) is an electronic engineer which is listed on the longterm skills list. To qualify for 'recognised work experience - G1' can one only include working in electronics or does previous role in computing also count? Or can one include this under G4 'years of work experience in an absolute skills shortage'

Can't answer this, but sure someone else can!

2. Has anyone seen any more info on defining A20 'what Industry is your main occupation in'? There is a list on online EOI but no guidance and its not clear which we should choose.

I would think you need to put your OH's current industry - or which he has had the most experience in or whatever fits as near as possible, if it is not right you can be sure that INZ will tell you so!

3. Taxation number - Where can one find this or is it not applicable to UK residents? I presume its separate to NI (social security) no.

I put our N.I numbers on our EOI and INZ didn't ask for anything further, so have assumed that was the correct answer!

What option does one choose if English is your mother tongue?! The guidance notes don't seem to define this. We could tick study for a recognised qualification in English.

We chose other....... but then again neither of us have degrees etc.
    Then in the comments box we added 'Completed all primary, secondary and further education in the UK, all of which were conducted entirely in English'. (We put something like that and again we were not asked for further information to confirm this.)

We have 135 points without job offers - do we stand a fair chance of being selected?

We had 140 points with job offers. I am sure you will be OK, the process is just abit speedier if you have an offer of employment.

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Cheeky Kea
    If all else fails you can email the skilled migrant administrator.......
    skilledmigrantslondon@dol.govt.uk..................... it is certainly better and cheaper than trying to telephone them!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Mel John; 08-02-2008 at 12:49 PM.
    EOI Submitted - 19/09/07
    EOI Selected - 26/09/07
    EOI Decision Successful - 19/11/07
    ITA Received - 22/11/07
    Medicals passed - 14/12/07:
    ITA Received by INZ -25/01/08:
    Approved in principle - 01/02/08
    Migrant Levy paid & Residency Approved - 7/2/08:
    Passports with visas received - 09/02/08
    We ARE HERE ..........JUNE 2008!!!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If you're claiming points for it your work experience needs to be relevant to your qualification.

With 135 points you should stand a pretty good chance of being selected. More points means more prizes .

I've taken the liberty of highlighting Mel's answers within the quote box so that CK won't overlook them, thinking it's just a quote of her original post. Hope you don't mind, Mel.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Ditto what Mel John said. We put our NI numbers for our social security number & taxation number and for english put that we were born & brought up in UK and that English is our native tongue. Did not need to prove it on our ITA. I think the work experience relates to the skill you are claiming points for. Good luck .
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Mel John is offline Member

Smile

Hope you don't mind, Mel.

Not at all MB - thanks for your assistance

Thanks also Nicky.

Mel.
    EOI Submitted - 19/09/07
    EOI Selected - 26/09/07
    EOI Decision Successful - 19/11/07
    ITA Received - 22/11/07
    Medicals passed - 14/12/07:
    ITA Received by INZ -25/01/08:
    Approved in principle - 01/02/08
    Migrant Levy paid & Residency Approved - 7/2/08:
    Passports with visas received - 09/02/08
    We ARE HERE ..........JUNE 2008!!!!

cheeky kea is offline Junior Member

Smile Thanks guys!

Hi,
    Thanks everyone for your help.

We have now submitted our EOI...nail biting moment!

Still only 135 points but will just have to wait and see.

We are very jealous that you will be jetting off soon Nicky & Mel Jon - Well done!

Cheeky Kea

ian
    ian is offline Junior Member

Smile taxation number

Hi,

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Cheeky Kea
    HI i put the taxation code from my wage slip down, and tick the studied for recognised qualification , hope this helps

fevziye99 is offline Member

Hi,

Most Electrical Engineers (my OH included) usually end up working in ICT based fields. Eitherway, the HR demand for skills sets both in the short-term and long-term for ICT is high, so if your husband writes that he being an Electrical Engineer has worked in the ICT field, that will be just fine. Nothing to worry about. Eitherway, he is on the plus.