Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sponsering at uk person

hmmmnz is offline Junior Member

Default sponsering at uk person

hey guys and girls,
    i have a bit of a problem,
    i have been going out with my current partner for coming on 4 years,
    and am currently in the uk (im a kiwi, she's scottish)
    i met her in new zealand when se was doing her "o.e" and after a while i came over here to the uk, my working holiday visa is nearly up and like all good kiwi's ill be making my way home,
    my girlfriend of course wants to come as well, but we have hit a bit of a wall,
    she has filled out her form but comes to 95 points as her degree in education is for primary school aged 3-14, this is on the abosolute skills shortage list.
    but is not in the long term skills shortage, only early childhood (0-5) or secondary school teacher, so she can't add that to the page which is a right bugger, and would easily put her over the 100 points required,

next, im obviously in he uk at the moment and when browsing through the sponsorship form, it asks whether i have spent atleast 184 days per year in the last 3 years in nz... hmmm ummm nope,
    am i reading that right??
    what do you lot think the best course of action is??

cheers
    logan

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Logan,

As a natural born kiwi, most pretty much all of the above doesnt apply. You need to sponser her as a partner of a New Zealand national, which basically means all you need to do is prove you have been together (preferably living together) for more than 12 months, and that your relationship is 'genuine and stable', whatever that means!

If you've been together for 4 years, I don't see you having much of a problem sponsoring her.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Logan,

This is what you need to read up on regarding sponsoring your partner . As Taffy says, if you've been living together in a stable and genuine relationship for more than 12 months there shouldn't be a problem, providing she complies with the usual character and medical requirements.

Perhaps this will bring you up to speed with your own status. You should be OK as long as you've still got a current NZ passport to travel on.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

ok cool,
    gee they certainly make it very easy to read, some of the immigration nz pages,
    have the most terrible double talk, i speak perfect english and i find it hard to understand :D
    so am i right in thinking that all i really need is police certificates from the uk,
    and then i can fill out the form and all will be honky dory,
    (hehe who says honky dory these days :D)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hmmmnz View Post
    so am i right in thinking that all i really need is police certificates from the uk,
    It would appear so. Just to be sure, check through the sponsorship form in case they're asking for anything else, but it looks like you only need to prove you've been a good kiwi whilst away from your homeland.

The above would be dependent, of course, on your having a valid NZ passport. You haven't been gone from NZ for that long - some return after 20+ years away, so you should be fine.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

well now that all seems to be all very straight foward,
    shame i can't apply online,:D but i sapose i have to send away a police cerificate any way :D
    cheers for your help :D
    logan

Ginabridget is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Smile

Hi Logan, I'm a kiwi as well and I've sponsored my partner (who's from Yorkshire), it was really straight forward and the people at the New Zealand Immigration office were quite helpful when I rang them with queries. All in all I think it took about 4 months for all the paperwork to come through. It was definitely easier getting my hubby into NZ then it was for me when I was getting my Indefinite Leave to Remain for Britain.

Good luck
    Gina
    26 January 2008 - House under offer, we're getting closer
    Feb 08 - our sale has fallen through
    19 March 08 - accepted another offer on the house
    Booked tickets, will arrive in NZ 4 July 2008
    Currently enjoying the 'weather bomb' in Northland July 08
    Anticipating a move to Auckland in the next few weeks - November 08

yeah they don't make it easy on us,
    i'd have to leave or have applied 6months ago for a partnership visa over here,
    oh to be polish in the uk, :D being from the commonwealth doesnt mean anything any more, not to worry, nz is far better any way :D

Ginabridget is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Smile

I think it was a bit easier for me then some others because both of my grandmothers were born in England so from the start I had an ancestral visa rather than a working visa.

I'm really nervous about what it's going to be like back in NZ, that's why I spend so much time on this site soaking up what everyone else things about it. I left NZ in 1998 and before I left I was young, free and single and spent my time at work or in the pub. Now I'm going back with a husband and two kids and my expectations of what I want from life are completely different.

Good luck with the sponsorship.

Gina
    26 January 2008 - House under offer, we're getting closer
    Feb 08 - our sale has fallen through
    19 March 08 - accepted another offer on the house
    Booked tickets, will arrive in NZ 4 July 2008
    Currently enjoying the 'weather bomb' in Northland July 08
    Anticipating a move to Auckland in the next few weeks - November 08

cheers, and good luck with coming back to new zealand, :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast