Thread: NZQA view on recognition on recognised degree gain by external student

nwkcmk is offline Junior Member

Default NZQA view on recognition on recognised degree gain by external student

Hi,
    I sent a mail to NZ immigration today regarding my degree recognition but got a reply stating I need to refer to NZQA for pre-assessment report. Well, I just submitted my application to NZQA and hopefully will get a reply soon.

As nervous as I am, can any of you share your experience with me if you have the similar situation as I?

My situation :

I was an external student for University of London and gained a Bachelor of Science in Computing and Information Systems. I studied as part time in one of an institution in Singapore for 3 years on this course. Do my degree stand a chance to be recognised by NZQA?

brgds
    Kevin

karinmp is offline Junior Member

Hi Kevin

I am in a similar situation and was wondering what the outcome of query was?
    Karin

Carl is offline Member

Hi,
    I was/am in the same boat. I have been working toward my degree for a while, but i need to start the credits for my major now. I emailed NZQA and asked which major i should go for in order to be accepted under the "information technology profssionals" category. The skill shortage list says....
    "Degree-level qualification (Level 7) majoring in computer science, information science or information technology"
    I wanted a degree in buisness information technology, which i would figure since it is almost completey IT credits that they would recognize it... also, it is worth mentioning that the degree is from a school that is accredited/recognized by NZQA. It was too late to wait for their response, so i just ended up pursuing a "computer information systems" degree since it sounded like they would like that more. After the fact, i got an email back from them that said something like "they arent in a position to influence my degree path."
    Hopefully you get a favorable response from them... good luck
    Carl

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    After the fact, i got an email back from them that said something like "they arent in a position to influence my degree path."

Probably means they didn't have a clue themselves and put the ball firmly back in your court. Very helpful. They could, at least, have offered you some options.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

nwkcmk is offline Junior Member

Dear all,
    Sorry for so late on my update. Pre-assessment came back sometime back and it was good. Level 7. But you will still need to go through a formal assessment from NZQA but it is enough for now to submit EOI.

Regards
    Kevin

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the update, Kevin. Glad to hear you're sorted now.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.