Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recognised qualifications???

gill is offline Junior Member

Wink recognised qualifications???

hi everyone
    this is my first time on the forum and im very glad to see that im not the only confused being looking to emigrate, it all seems to be unbelievably difficult...anyway my question is having looked at as many sites as i can, im unable to find out if my qualifications are acceptable in NZ. im a qualified pharmacy tech who did the training/qualification with boots chemist. the british pharmaceutical ass. recognises the boots qualification as equivalent to nvq level 3, which is a level 5 in NZ and if thats the case then i should be able to apply under the skilled migrant visa but i cant get a definite answer from anywhere...any ideas?
    must say this site is wonderful

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum, Gill.

Pharmacist appears on the Long Term Skill Shortages List and pharmacy technician is on the Immediate Skill Shortages List .

You could try the NZQA which is the official body that assesses international qualifications. It will cost you, but at least then you'll know which level they see it as.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hi Gill and Welcome to the Madhouse.

Pharmacy Technician is sort of what I used to do before having my second daughter although the company never put me through any quals even though they spent about 3 years promising to do. I did the job for about 7 years and have nothing to show for it unfortunately- might look into to starting again when we get to NZ but who knows.

As regards to getting a basic assesment from NZQA we did it earlier in the year for my OH and it was about $75 I think.

Hope you get all the answers you need- there is always someone around on here willing to help out.

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Red face recognised quals??

thanks to both of you for your reply, i think it might be worth paying up and seeing if my quals will be recognised. is it right that if you are on the immediate skills shortage list you will be unable to apply for permanent residence in nz? we went to the gmex in manchester a few weeks ago as they had a nz expo on there and spoke to someone from immigration and that was the impression we got...how confusing it all is

Blog Entries

Hey Gill- you are welcome.

We to went to the Manchester Expo.

MB will hopefully confirm this but I beleive that Long term skill shortage qualifies you for PR through skilled migrant and immediate skill shortage will qualify you for a Work Visa which I beleive if you go through the work to residence programme then after 2 years you can then apply for full Residency.

Hope that helps.

Beth

Red face

Hi Beth,

Thanks for that and I hope MB will confirm what you have just written. We just got the impression when we went to the expo that there would be no way we would be granted PR even if we had employment over there. My OH is an HGV driver so maybe the immigration person was saying that we wouldnt be able to get residency if he was the one to apply...I dont know...I just seem to go round in circles Im looking into doing my ACT course (accredited checking tech) at work now in the hope that if I get it, it might add a bit more weight if I apply.
    When are you moving to NZ?

Blog Entries

I might be wrong but i'm sure that HGV Driver is a shortage too but probably isn't on long term shortage list again.

We are planning on going in March once OH has finished a contract job in Manchester- we are hoping to spend about 3 weeks travelling around NZ (with campervan) and then start the job hunt and visa application.At the moment it looks like we will be settling in Wellington but depends what jobs come up once we are there- I would like to go to Hamilton (got some good mates there now courtosey of the forum and seems like a great place for the lifestyle we want) however Wellington offers better job prospects for OH- will just have to wait and see.

Youre quite right, HGV is on the immediate skills list. Ive been reading a lot of the threads and it looks as though a lot of ppl have managed to get a job offer before submitting their EOI's...how do they manage that I wonder?
    Are you and OH hoping to find work when you get out to NZ?
    We were wondering about doing that but it seems as though its a bit of a 'wing and a prayer' situation and Id hate the thought of going out there and having to come back again.
    I think Im just a bit downhearted because of what the immigration lady said at the expo regarding us not being able to go for work to residence...she said theres no way that we would get permanent residency, tho plenty of ppl on here seem to be going down that route...surely they dont all come back....do they?

Blog Entries

Yes we are going out there with no jobs or visas.

OH will be looking for a job when we are in NZ- we need a job offer to get our points for PR.

You need a job offer before you can get a work permit and the best way to get a job offer is to be in NZ- not many people manage to get a job offer before they arrive unless they are lucky.

Have you had a look on the Immigration website about the work to residence route? It might give you some answers (all beit maybe not what you want but at least you will know)

Just had a quick peek....I think I'll have to get my quals assessed and go from there...have to say I envy you and your OH and wish you both all the luck in the world. Do you have children? Ours are older now and so would have to apply for themselves and that could prove to be another stumbling block but we will cross that bridge if/when we come to it.
    Will you both be looking for jobs when you get there? Have you been there before?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast