Thread: Skilled migrant or LTBV?

Ildefonse is offline Junior Member

Default Skilled migrant or LTBV?

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, and although I am still a couple of years away from moving to New Zealand, I have a choice to make and maybe someone can advise me on what is best.

I hope to receive my M.Sc. degree in Aerospace Engineering soon, and right now I have about 3 years of work experience in the IT sector. This work experience was gained running my own company (together with a friend), which is doing quite well. Right now, my choice is to continue working with this company, and not to try to get a job in Aerospace Engineering.

By the time I will want to move, my work experience in IT could thus be about 5-6 years, and the company will most likely have grown a lot. It is very likely that I will be interested in continuing to work in this field, from New Zealand. This means opening the same business in New Zealand.

Now, my question is, what would be the best thing to do when the time comes? Apply for residency as a skilled migrant, or apply for a long term business visa, and go for residency via that way?

From what I have seen, my work experience is in an area identified to have future growth. I did a quick score calculation, and suppose I would choose to move to outside of Auckland (preferred anyway), with my partner, but without a job offer, I would obtain 120 points, as a skilled migrant. If I would choose to find a job offer, albeit for a couple of months, I could get 170 points and probably be accepted.

So is it better to go for the LTBV? Or should I stick to the skilled migrant category? What are your thoughts about this? Thanks in advance.

Adam

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Adam, welcome to the forum.

It looks like you could go either way with getting into NZ. Applying for a LTBV can be quite tiresome and long-winded with business plans and other stuff flying around, but it can be done. If you wanted to take a simpler route, why not apply as a skilled migrant and, once you have PR, you'd be free to start up your own IT business if you wanted to or use your new degree if you so wished.

Perhaps it would be advantageous to try to find a NZ job within your field which would not only gain you extra points for your application, but would also give you time to explore opportunities and contacts in NZ for when you want to start your own company. Business practices there could be quite different to those you're experiencing now.

Personally, I'd go for the easiest and most assured way of getting in, then, with PR safely under my belt, I'd see how I then felt about my choices and which way I wanted to go. You can submit your PR application with either 120 points or 170 points but, of course, you'd have more chance of being selected quickly with 170. That's not to say you couldn't get picked with only 120 points. If you find a job offer and apply with 170, it would mean that you would need to stay in that job for a minimum of 3 months because you claimed points for it.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Also, by "relevant work experience", do they mean this has to be work experience related to your degree, or not?

Hi Mother Bear,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was inclined to proceed that way myself, but wasn't sure if it would be best. To work for 3 months in a particular job would not be bad, any experience gained could be useful in the future.

In fact, I did the point calculator again, and suppose I will get a job offer in ICT, as a programmer, and my partner would also get a job offer, that would bump my score to 240 points. That would give us a good chance, no?

How does it work with a partner, by the way, do they have to file a separate EOI? Or do you have one main applicant?

Thanks,
    Adam

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ildefonse View Post
    Also, by "relevant work experience", do they mean this has to be work experience related to your degree, or not?
    Yes, if you are claiming points for work experience, it should be in the same field as your degree. I guess I should have asked earlier if you also had a degree in IT rather than assuming you did.

If you are applying for PR with your skills and degree, you would be the principal applicant and your partner would go on your application form. If, however, a partner also has their own skills and work experience that are attractive to NZ, they could apply for PR under their own steam if they wished, but it's not necessary.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Ok, so why do they ask in their points indicator if your degree/work experience is in future growth / skill shortage areas twice? Once specifically for your degree, and once specifically for your work experience?

Or should I see those two questions from the work experience section separately:

- Number of years of relevant work experience (anywhere) degree related?
    - Number of years work experience in any one of New Zealand's: identified future growth areas? areas of absolute skills shortage? not degree related?

It makes sense to me that you can be "valuable" either with an degree in a particular field, or with work experience in another field, albeit without degree.

Ideally, I guess you would have work experience in the field of your degree, but then again, with my degree I could work in a multitude of environments, even for example in banking! This might not seem related to aerospace engineering, but it happens (people end up simulating money flows etc). The thing is that with my degree, I am trained to think/work like an engineer. So whether I go making airplanes, cars, bridges, or software, it doesn't matter much -- I have the basic engineering skills that are needed.

In any case, I looked at the points indicator again, and it doesn't seem to matter that much, all in all. When I do not fill out the field for relevant work experience, I get 215 points (with both me and my partner being offered a job). When I fill out no experience at all, and no job offer for my partner, I reach 185 points.

Thanks again for your reply.
    Last edited by Ildefonse; 11-11-2007 at 09:25 PM.