Thread: English language evidence & IRRV

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Default English language evidence & IRRV

Now that I have a job offer I am trying to get things into perspective more. I have 2 questions which I hope someone can help with. Here goes:

When completing the EOI in the section relating to English language ability what is the best one to tick? I have a choice between
    -Otherwise meet the minimum standard, as defined in the Guide or
    -None of the above

With the first one I have given an explanation saying that English is my native language etc... The second choice does not ask you to explain. Which do I use?

Second question. I know that you have 12 months from getting PR to activating it. To activate it do you just have to visit NZ or live there for a set period of time? What if you visit and want to return later?

I am thinking of my daughter. She is at Uni at the moment and I hope to be able to get PR for her with our application. If she spends a month with us at Xmas and then goes back to the UK until the summer will this be enough to activate PR and for her to return without needing further visa's? Can't seem to find the right answers on NZIS (but then ...can anyone?)
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Nicky,

Have you read the Guide for Returning Resident's Visas ? If you scroll down to page 6 it gives you some idea of the conditions that apply to getting one and keeping one.

Basically, your PR will be activated once you enter NZ to stay. There will already be a RRV in your passport along with your PR. During each of the next 2 years you have to show your commitment to NZ by remaining in the country for a minimum of 184 days (just over 6 months). In your daughter's case, when she leaves NZ to go back to the UK her PR will be cancelled. The RRV is in her passport to ensure that she can get back into NZ when she wants to come again and a new PR will be issued upon re-entry. This way they can keep tabs on how long she stays in NZ and if, at the end of the 2-year qualifying period, she hasn't 'proved her commitment' by living in NZ for 184 days in each year, she probably won't be able to apply for an Indefinite RRV. There are other rules and regulations, ifs and buts, which you can read about in the above link.

With regard to the English language thingy in the EOI form, not having had sight of the form, I can't say exactly what goes where. Suffice to say that, as a national of the UK where English is your first language, you just need to put the minimum that qualifies your statement that you are a native English speaker. Having said that English is your first language should be enough, I'd have thought. Reading the form again, does it actually say that you need to tick any of those boxes? It could be only for those for whom English isn't their first language. I'm sure some of the others will put you straight on this better than I can.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

Thanks MB. If I understand this correctly - Jenni (my daughter) can come over at Xmas and use the RRV that came with her PR. When she leaves to return to the UK her PR will be cancelled. Can she return to NZ later that year using the RRV that she had originally? At this point she hopes be able to do a 12 month industrial placement in NZ as part of her degree. As this would be for 12 months would she then be granted IRRV? Sorry about this but it confuses the hell out of me.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickydwuk View Post
    Sorry about this but it confuses the hell out of me.
    You're not the only one!

When Jenni leaves NZ for the UK, her PR will be cancelled. The RRV in her passport should remain valid and this will allow her to re-enter NZ whereupon she'll be given a new PR.

The problem arises if she doesn't make it back to NZ in time to spend the required 184 days there for that current year. If she does get back in time and then spends at least 184 days in NZ in the 2nd year as well, she should be OK to get her IRRV. If not, she'll have to jump through hoops by applying for another RRV when that one expires until she's done her 2 years' worth of complying with the 184 day rule.

I don't think it so much affects her PR, but more the IRRV application.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi,

With regards to the English speaking question on the EOI, I cant remember what we put but in the comments box we put English is our native language and that seemed to be OK for them.

Blog Entries

Spoke to NZIS today at the Expo about Jenni and her PR & IRRV. They told me that an IRRV will be granted depending on the principal applicants situation so as long as I comply with the 184 day per year rule all applicants on the EOI & ITA will qualify. I did re-iterate with them that this was right and two different people confirmed it.

So I am a very happy mummy tonight - my little (or rather big) girl can come with us when she finishes her degree.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Aaww that's great news nicky I'm so pleased for you - it's finally coming together at last

Ace
    Ace is offline Member

When completing the EOI in the section relating to English language ability what is the best one to tick? I have a choice between
    -Otherwise meet the minimum standard, as defined in the Guide or
    -None of the above

With the first one I have given an explanation saying that English is my native language etc... The second choice does not ask you to explain. Which do I use?
    I would use the first one, and explain that you were born and raised in an English-speaking country, and that English is your native language.

Second question. I know that you have 12 months from getting PR to activating it. To activate it do you just have to visit NZ or live there for a set period of time? What if you visit and want to return later?
    You only have to visit to get a Residence Permit and activate your PR.

I am thinking of my daughter. She is at Uni at the moment and I hope to be able to get PR for her with our application. If she spends a month with us at Xmas and then goes back to the UK until the summer will this be enough to activate PR and for her to return without needing further visa's? Can't seem to find the right answers on NZIS (but then ...can anyone?)
    How old is your daughter? If she's under 18 when PR is granted, she should be able to get in on your application. If she's over 18, she might need to file a separate application.

If she is granted PR and visits you over Xmas, that will be enough to get a Residence Permit and activate her PR.

Thanks MB. If I understand this correctly - Jenni (my daughter) can come over at Xmas and use the RRV that came with her PR. When she leaves to return to the UK her PR will be cancelled. Can she return to NZ later that year using the RRV that she had originally? At this point she hopes be able to do a 12 month industrial placement in NZ as part of her degree. As this would be for 12 months would she then be granted IRRV? Sorry about this but it confuses the hell out of me.
    As stated in another post, once she leaves NZ, her Residence Permit will be cancelled automatically. It can then be re-activated at any time within the next 24 months, using a separate permit in her passport called a Returning Residence Visa (RRV). The RRV allows her to get a new Residence Permit upon arrival to NZ. Her PR status is not changed by leaving NZ.

The IRRV is granted to everyone on your application at the same time, after you've proven some level of committment to NZ. The publication mentioned in an earlier post describes what that means -- including things like buying and owning a house for 12 months I think, etc. Once you have an IRRV, then you can come-and-go from NZ as much as you want, and you'll be guaranteed that they will let you return into the country with a valid Residence Permit. Otherwise, if the RRV expires while you're out of the country, you will have to file a new application with NZIS for PR -- basically starting the process all over again.