Thread: But my degree doesn't need to be assessed by NZQA!

MaxG is offline Junior Member

Default But my degree doesn't need to be assessed by NZQA!

I have an honours degree (Egyptian Archaeology, since you ask) from the University of Liverpool. A good honours degree from a recognised institution - but how on earth do you get that info into the form? It only assigns points if you have had your qualification assessed and can give a reference number, despite the fact that the guidance is quite clear that such assessment is NOT required. I do note that it accepts 'N/A' as a reference...

I see from this that I'm not alone, but the as online EOI form won't assign the points unless you fill in the questions about assessment - what exactly do you do?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Max,

If you read through this you'll see that, if anyone is applying without a job offer, they now need to have their quals assessed by NZQA whether or not they're from a recognised institution. However, I know that you do have a job offer, so I can't see how that would apply to you. Do you maybe have enough points to apply without using your qualification?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

A bit of experimenting shows that I was panicking unnecessarily - you can answer 'Yes' to F3 ('is this qualification on the List of Recognised Qualifications?') and 'No' to F4 ('Has it been assessed...?') and it doesn't choke.

...Must... keep... calm...

However, Section E seems really weird. E1, no problem, I have an offer of skilled employment in New Zealand... on to the next page and all the questions are about your job in New Zealand NOW. WTF? it says "PLEASE NOTE: Your main occupation in New Zealand is the job you spent the most hours doing while in New Zealand. If you have not worked in New Zealand you should not complete any of section E in this form." This doesn't appear on the paper EOI form.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Max it's all balls! Just fill it in, they'll suit let you know what they need and what they don't. Honestly, they talk out their arse. Ask 7 people at NZIS what something means or how to do something and you'll get 7 differrent answers. My answer - do whatever you need to do!
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Funnily enough that's exactly what my brother said when I talked to him today! And if you ask the same seven again you end up with fourteen different answers :-)

I've sort-of-completed it now writing about the job I've been offered, even though I haven't done it (I've done a similar job here, of course).