Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Term Skills Shortage

GaryPhillips is offline Junior Member

Default Long Term Skills Shortage

Hi

I am looking for some advice regarding my EOI. I have been working in IT for 25 years, my current job title is Team Leader, I manage a team of 6 DBA's. I am an Oracle (8i/9i/10g) and SQL Server (6.5/7/2000/2005) DBA and I have passed the Oracle 10g OCP exams. I have been told that my job is on the long term skills shortage list but because I do not have a degree, I only have an HNC, I can't claim the extra 10/15 points, is this correct.

Without these points I need a job before applying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Gary, welcome to the forum.

In answer to your question, on here , right at the bottom, it says:

The following Higher National Certificates and/or Higher National Diplomas awarded by BTEC are assessed as occupying Level 5 of the Register and will therefore qualify for 50 points.
    • Agriculture
    • Business
    • Computing
    • Design (Higher National Diploma only)
    • Engineering
    • Hotel, Catering and Institutional Management (Higher National Diploma only)
    • Public Administration

I'm only assuming your IT skills come under 'Computing', but maybe I've got it wrong. Perhaps someone else who's gone down this route can verify this information.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks for the welcome.

I understand that I get 50 points for my HNC, in total I get 110 which on it's own is not enough to be selected from the pool. Am I correct in thinking that I can only claim the extra 10/15 points for being on the long term skills shortage if I have a degree(level 7) as well ?

Gary

Blog Entries

If you have 110 points you can still apply with that. The pass mark is 100 points. I believe, if you want to use your qualifications towards bonus points you need to have them assessed by NZQA although I have read that, without the degree, they don't give out the bonus points. I'm just trying to back it up with some official written evidence rather than hearsay.

Have you managed to bump up your points level by taking other factors into account i.e. partner’s qualifications, your previous experience, considering taking employment outside Auckland etc.? The best way to give a boost to your points level is to try to get a job offer.
    Mother Bear

Once again, thanks for the info. My 110 points include everything you have said, it's just the fact that with no degree I don't think my work experience counts.

I am planning to travel to New Zealand later this year with or without a visa and try and find work but it would be nice to have a visa before going.

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hi
    My husband is also in IT with about 12 years experiance- he is all self taught with no Quals except for ITIL and Prince 2 and is in a project manager role which is on the immediate skill shortage list

I was under the impression that the experience points are given weather or not there are quals as points are given separately for these. (if not then we are really stuck)
    We are in that same situatuon that we need a job offer to secure points as we don't even have 100 due to lack of quals
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Blog Entries

On here around about page 30, it talks about recognised work experience and above that, about recognised qualifications. Hopefully you can make some sense out of it. I find the NZIS site very ambiguous at times where it seems to say one thing in one place and something entirely different in another.

And from here . Select Index at top left and scroll down to SM13.20 (alphabetical order).

SM13.20 Work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage

See SM13.20 Effective 17/12/2003

a. Recognised work experience is assessed as being in an area of absolute skills shortage if:

i it was undertaken in an occupation included on the Long Term Skill Shortage List (refer Appendix 6); and
    ii it meets the specifications for that occupation; and
    iii the principal applicant* is suitably qualified by training and/or experience to undertake that work (including any specific requirements set out on the Long Term Skill Shortage List).

b. Where the Long Term Skill Shortage List specifies that occupational registration is required for a listed occupation, principal applicants must demonstrate that they held occupational registration while undertaking the work experience, if occupational registration is required in the country in which the work occurred.

SM 13.20.1 Evidence

Recognised work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage only qualifies for points if the principal applicant* provides evidence that satisfies a visa or immigration officer that their work experience meets the requirements of SM13.20 above.
    Mother Bear

Bunstar is offline Member

Hi Gary,

Just to let you know that my boyfriend and I submitted our EOI in September 2006 with just 110 points. My boyfriend was principal applicant as his job, electronics control engineer, was on the long term skills shortage list (different profession I know). Neither of us had job offers.

Anyway our EOI was pulled from the pool within a couple of weeks and we found out on 6th June 2007 that our residence visa has been granted in principle (we're still looking for work)

What I'm trying to say is applications can be successful with 110 points so don't give up all hope if you can't secure a job offer straight away.

Hope this helps,
    Clare

EOI submitted: 03/09/06
    EOI selected from pool: End of Sept (just got locked out of NZIS website so can't be exact!!)
    ITA received: 03/11/06
    ITA submitted: 23/02/07
    Phone interview: 23/05/07
    Residence visa AIP: 06/06/07

Hi

Thanks for all the advice. I agree the NZ web sites are confusing, they seem to send you round in circles. This is so frustrating, it feels like we are so close but just can't get there.

We have employed the Emigration Group to help us, but they say that we need jobs offers before going in the pool. I would like to go in and see what happens, I think I will ring them again and see what they say.

I'll keep you posted.

Gary

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hi Gary.
    I beleive.....
    You can submit you EOI aslong as you hae 100 or more points so you can submit with 110. Although it isn't enough to get picked automatically you can still get picked and I beleive you an be in the pool for 6 months but with selections every two weeks you should be likely to have bene picked in that time.
    Also if you got job offer before you had been selected you can update your application through your case officer and if you get picked before then even better.
    Please correct me if I got anything wrong guys.
    Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast