Thread: Immigration News

ShellBda is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Immigration News

I am sure everyone is checking the NZ Immigration website but I hadn't viewed it for a while. Just saw this update:

Hon David Cunliffe
    6/06/2007
    Skilled Migrant Category fine-tuned to deliver more
    The flagship Skilled Migrant Category has been fine-tuned to deliver more for the country while still ensuring quality, says Immigration Minister David Cunliffe.

"The SMC is generally working well, and is delivering high quality skilled migrants," Mr Cunliffe said. "We need to keep testing our policies to find ways of improving them and better target the people New Zealand needs. The SMC needs to be well positioned to attract quality skilled migrants in an increasingly competitive market.

"International competition for skills is intensifying, with many countries, including Australia, investing heavily to pursue the same migrants. Hence we have done some fine-tuning."

The changes include:

An increase to the bonus points awarded for skilled employment, a recognised qualification and work experience in an identified future growth area

An introduction of bonus points for a post-graduate New Zealand qualification (Masters or Doctorate)

A reduction in the number of years of New Zealand work experience required to claim the applicable bonus points

An increase to the bonus points awarded for a principal applicant?s partner?s recognised qualification and skilled employment in New Zealand

A restructure of how bonus points are awarded for study in New Zealand

Removing the award of bonus points for skilled employment, a recognised qualification and work experience in an identified cluster.

A review of the list of recognised qualifications

A more transparent and appropriate definition of skilled employment.

"The revised points more closely target the people who New Zealand needs and recognises, for example, that the partner of a principal applicant can be of significant value to New Zealand in his or her own right," Mr Cunliffe said

The Skilled Migrant Category is New Zealand?s premier immigration product, providing residence opportunities for skilled people. Most skilled migrants are granted residence through the SMC, which comprises 60 per cent of the New Zealand Residence Programme.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Uhhhh....?

Bermy Girl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShellBda View Post
    Uhhhh....?
    I think MB was perhaps referring to the almost identical posting she made about a week or so ago...

You must be having one of my moments...

Nope, never saw it. Must have been one of those busy weeks for me. Sorry

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bermy Girl View Post
    I think MB was perhaps referring to the almost identical posting she made about a week or so ago...
    True. If you click on the red 'Ahem' link, it takes you to my post. Not to worry, Shell, better to have it on here twice than not at all. Anyway, my post didn't get any response so maybe you'll have caught someone's eye with yours.

Oooh, synchronised smileys. We've got 'em well trained.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Well, I did manage to get more than 1 reply Just kidding!