Thread: Fear

ShellBda is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Fear

Hello all,

I have read a lot of the posts regarding EOI's, points and qualifications. I have read the NZ Immigration website from front to back and side to side and I still am fearful about my chances of getting a work permit and/or residence. I know that I am taking a big chance uprooting my son and I (and hopefully my dog) and that is all part of the grand adventure. I am also used to stability and being in control of my life. Despite the fact that I want to move to NZ and have never been so close to leaving my home of 42 years, I would be giving up an extremely well paying job, a nice apartment and knowing what each days will bring. That said, I still intend to try and will do everything I can (within the law ) to make this move happen. Not just for me and my son but also for my best friend Bermygirl and her son. I don't think I would have had the courage to do this withouot her.

In a nutshell, I will begin studying for a level 5 Certificate in Technical Communication and a Certificate in Web design and hope to have it completed by next year. I have 20 years experience in the administrative field with the last 10 years in an administrative management role. My present position is Head of Administration for a reinsurance company, a position I have held for the past 5 1/2 years.

I have a Bachelor of Business with major in Administrative Office Management but I earned this through my work experience and it will not be recognized by the NZQA as the university is not accredited by any of the US Accreditation groups shown on the NZ Imm. website.

I still get points for my age! All in all, once I complete my studies and obtain the level 5 Certificate, I should have a total of 100 points without a job offer. Both the Technical Communication and Web design courses will compliment my administrative experience in running an office.

But will I be able to get a job as an Administration Manager or Office Manager as they are called here in Bermuda? If I do find a job, will it be recognized as skilled employment for the purpose of obtaining the work to residence?

I am willing to pack up and move to NZ and then look for a job (assuming I am allowed to look for work while on a visitors visa, not actually accept a job or work but just LOOK for a job). I know there are no guarantees but it would be nice to have a general idea of my chances of meeting the Immigratin requirements so that I can settle down and relax - not to mention beginning a new life for my son.

All the best,
    Shell

P.S. When I have something on my mind (and there is a lot lately) I tend to write long missives. Sorry. You all wonder why I want a man - to give my brain a break! Cracking up! lol

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Shell,

Nothing wrong with long posts

Management is classed as skilled in it's own right, although I don't think finding a job managing a McDonalds would count

As long as the job you find is relevant to your experience, and is managerial, I think you'll be fine. If not, I'll have a word with the head of immigration and we'll bring you in as bermuda royalty or something.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShellBda View Post
    I am willing to pack up and move to NZ and then look for a job (assuming I am allowed to look for work while on a visitors visa, not actually accept a job or work but just LOOK for a job).
    Yes, there's nothing to stop you looking for work whilst on a VV, although it would be better not to let this be known to the authorities in NZ, as entering NZ on a VV should mean that you're coming in for the purpose of holidaying only. As a visitor you can quietly mooch about various companies to see if they're interested in your skills. You couldn't, however, actually start work until you'd applied for and been granted a Work Permit or, obviously, PR.

I would mention that there is a rumour, and it's only a rumour at the moment, that NZIS is planning on dropping the number of points needed to qualify for automatic selection from 140 to 115, so, if and when that happens, it should make the whole thing a lot easier for many people.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

duane1x is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post

I would mention that there is a rumour, and it's only a rumour at the moment, that NZIS is planning on dropping the number of points needed to qualify for automatic selection from 140 to 115, so, if and when that happens, it should make the whole thing a lot easier for many people.
    That's an interesting rumor, and one I can confirm anecdotally is close to the current practice. Our EOI was 130 points and was selected on the next draw after submitting, but afterward I learned I could not claim bonus points for IT if my degree is not in IT. It's not, which put us back to 115.

I stewed for a while about whether to confront it head on, bury my head in the sand, or what. I went ahead and wrote INZ explaining the situation and asking for guidance. I mean, why go through the whole thing, financially, emotionally, and otherwise, if we're just going to get shot down on this IT/degree thing.

They wrote back and said, in essence, that if everything else checked out we would be fine. So onward and upward, we've mailed the ITA off a week ago now. I just wish that silly tracking number would indicate signed for at New Zealand House. Any day now.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hey Duane,

Am so glad to hear that you had 130 points as well and got selected. How long ago was that?

We're in the same position with you and have 130 points with IT qualifications so fingers crossed we're as lucky as you!

duane1x is offline Member

The first part of our journey started like this:

11-03-06 submitted EOI online
    11-08-06 selected from pool
    11-09-06 Confirming email was received & status on website changed to (selected - under consideration)
    12-01-06 status changed on website to (decision successful)
    12-12-06 received ITA package from London

I think you'll be fine, especially if you have 130 without the questionable bonus points. Here's the May 9 2007 pick:

All EOIs above 140 points. 390
    All EOIs with a job or a job offer claiming points between 100 and 135 points. 95
    All those claiming 15 points for work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage, with a points between 100 and 135 points. 63
    All those claiming 10 points for work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage, with a points between 100 and 135 points. 40
    All those claiming 10 points for qualification in an area of absolute skill shortage, with a points between 105 and 135 points. 201

So it looks like they are picking as low as 100 with work experience in an absolute skill shortage area, which many IT jobs should be.

Best of success.