Thread: Help?! Pre- assesments!

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Question Help?! Pre- assesments!

Hi all.

I'm after some advice.

I have just had my Husbands Prince 2 Practitioner qual assessed by NZQA to see if it will give us points for our EOI.

They have done the assesment and say they can't give it a level because they can't put it on a level with any NZ qual (although i think it is equvalant of the PMI qual in NZ)and that if we want it looking at further we would have to have a full assessment done. (don't know how much this is but I imagine it is quite expensive).

We currently have only 70 points on EOI so had decided we will go over in search of work once house is sold and then apply with a job offer. we just thought if we could get some extra points for quals which would take us up to 120 we could get in the EOI.

Would it be worth getting a full assesment and risk it not coming back high enough level anyway or just stick with the original plan of getting a job offer.

Beth

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I can't remember the exact cost of a full assessment, but I know you're right - it's not cheap!

I guess if you have the full assessment done, there's a 50% chance of them finding an equivilent, so taking the pressure off the job hunt as you'll have enough points anyway. If you just up sticks and go, you put yourself on a strict timescale to find a job before your permits expire.

I think your financial situation would dictate whats best in this instance. If you can afford to take the chance on getting an assessment which doesnt go in your favour, can you live without that money? If you cant really risk that kind of money, then you only have one other option!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    I can't remember the exact cost of a full assessment, but I know you're right - it's not cheap!
    I think the costs are:

NZ$450 for assessment
    NZ$ 50 for a full set of photocopies if you haven't already enclosed certified copies
    NZ$150 for fast tracking your application
    NZ$? variable amount if the body your qualification is from requests a fee for verification.

This pdf file from NZQA might be useful, Beth. It tells you all about the assessement process.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys.

That is a lot of money to not guarentee the points and they have already had the NZ$75 for the pre-assessment to not get an answer.

Think we will stick with our original plan the extra points would have just made it that little bit easier, never mind.

I won't be going to NZ until hubby has found a job anyway and i'm sure he will be able to get one in 6months. He can then get a work visa and me and the girls can join him and put in out EOI etc which i am informed will take about 3months to get full residency if we have a job so I should be fine on my VV until it comes through.