Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immigration Consultant has me confused!

ShellBda is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Immigration Consultant has me confused!

Hi,

I am the newbie from Bermuda and as intelligent as I think I am (no genius) just when I think I understand the process someone says something that throws me back into the black hole of mismatched thoughts.

I am a single mother so, while I understand that making a move from Bermuda to New Zealand is a risk, I would like to try to minimize it as much as possible.

I had an initial assessment carried out by a consultancy firm online. They returned a 18 page report that carried information that I had already seen on the NZ Immigration website with small references here and there to my situation.

I do not fall into an occupation on the Immediate Shortage or Long Term shortage. I am the Head of Administration for a reinsurance company and have worked in an administrative role for 24 years, working my way up and taking courses along the way.

I have a Bachelor of Business degree from an online university and was told that it probably wouldn't be acceptable. Within the next 6 months I anticipate having a Level 5 Certificate in Technical Communication and Certificate in Web Design and Web writing. I believe that these courses will compliment my experience in administration with a few areas I can focus on and give me an advantage when looking for a job. So, when I complete an EOI I will only have 100 points (too bad they don't give out 50 points per certificate!).

The consultants told me that they thought I would be wasting valuable time taking the courses I mentioned above as they wouldn't change my situation - I need to find a job. I know this of course, but I would rather move to NZ on a visitors visa (I can stay 6 months I believe on my Irish passport) starting with a 100 points instead of just 50.

Now, this is where my fear comes in - everyone keeps telling me that no one will want to hire me without having a visa. Well, from what I understand, I cannot get a visa without having a job offer but I can't get a job offer without having a visa!???

I seem to be going around in circles and I haven't even started the process yet. Just when I feel comfortable and ready to move forward - wham! Maybe I am not good enough for NZ after all!

Anybody? Hit me over the head!!!

Thanks,
    Michele

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Michele,

I'm afraid I would have to agree. If the university that issued your degree is not recognised by the New Zealand Immigration Service, then they wouldn't accept it. Whether you are wasting your time on the course you are doing or not I suppose is just a matter of opinion. I guess that would come down to whether or not employers would see it as a significant extra, as you already have 24 years experience which is pretty darn good!!

I expect the consultants view is more about what would help you qualify for immigration.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Default Thanks!

Thanks Taffy,

I think I am just experiencing a little anxiety. I too, also did not think NZ Immigration would recognize my degree, which I had accepted. In so far as the courses are concerned, they are recognized by the NZQA and are relevant to my job and would give me a total of 100 points without a job offer.

Unfortunately, even with 24 years of experience, I have seen some employers prefer degrees over experience. I have never shied away from trying to better myself and will do what I can to make me more attractive to prospective employers and if it makes my case to Immigration stronger than I am all for it

Should I go ahead and file an EOI with only 100 points or should I wait until I am in NZ, hopefully find a job and then file an EOI?

Thanks again,
    Michele

moggy is offline God like figure

I wouldn't say they won't recognise your degree - they will not recognise it automatically. However you can pay to have your qualifications assessed and the might then consider them acceptabe (no guarentee though)

Blog Entries

Hi,

I know what you mean about employers. Personally I'd rather take on someone who can do the job, rather than someone who is purely 'qualified' for the position! You have the best of both worlds, with a degree and experience. Most employers will be quite happy with that, whether NZIS accept it or not!

One thing though, are you sure that the certificate you are doing is worth 50 points? Although NZQA approve of it, different qualifications have different point values. I also think you can only claim those points if you have a relevant job offer in NZ.

Should you submit your EOI? I'd have to say you need to hold off for a bit, and wait to see what your consultant says. They'll have all your information so would be in a better position to judge what points you have exactly. I wouldn't want you to go ahead on my say so, in case i'm wrong!

Let us know what happens
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShellBda View Post
    Now, this is where my fear comes in - everyone keeps telling me that no one will want to hire me without having a visa. Well, from what I understand, I cannot get a visa without having a job offer but I can't get a job offer without having a visa!???
    I truly hope this isn't the case Michelle as we are packing up everything we own and our young family to go out on a VV and find jobs when we arrive. There are others that have done it and been offered jobs and got their WP successfully. I was emailed by a company the other day who invited me to go and see them when we arrive with respect to giving me a job. They are keen even though they know I don't have a WP.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Blog Entries

Some companies wont touch you, some companies will welcome you with no problems. New Zealand is used to dealing with this issue, as most of the new labour force in skilled areas comes from overseas! It's just luck of the draw.
    Taffy

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

As Taffy says, it's not cast in stone that you can't get a job without a visa/permit. It's just down to individual employers. Some might be concerned about offering you a job without a visa only to find, for some reason, you couldn't get one.

Again, some might use it as an excuse if they don't really want to hire a non-kiwi. Others companies are fine about it and will do all they can to assist you in getting your visa and starting work for them.

Expect to come up against this issue at some point, but don't be put off by it. There are plenty out there that will be only too happy to have you on board.

As for submitting your EOI, you can put it in and, if you were to find a job in the meantime, you can let NZIS know so they can amend your file and up your points. If you are with a consultant though, I'd discuss it with them first to ensure they know what's going on and so they can add any comments or advice they see fit.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I was emailed by a company the other day who invited me to go and see them when we arrive with respect to giving me a job. They are keen even though they know I don't have a WP.
    Great news, Dawn. Fingers crossed for you. Would be a fantastic start to your new life.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Thank you!

I just wanted to say thank you for your advice. The certificates I am working on are Level 5 Certificates and are on the NZQ Registry. What that means at this point, I don't really know but I am just going to have to bite the bullet, get on a plane (that is the hardest part for me as I am afraid of flying) and go for it! I am actually supposed to fly down in July, watch the All Blacks play Australia on July 21 at Eden Park and then travel down to Palmerston North to stay with friends and take a look at the area as I will be buying a house as an investment.

Thank you again!!! I am sure I will have more questions.

Shell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast