Thread: Naive and Bummed

Randy_and_Donald is offline Junior Member

Default Naive and Bummed

The story starts out the same. Went to NZ and we both fell in love the country. We are successful gay couple in Santa Barbara California. We've been together going on 11 years and in our late 40's.

Of course we thought we'd qualify with no problems. Surprise surprise.....

We both get over 100 but that's about it. So bummed. Degreed, etc.

So, the magic question.............how in the heck do you get a job in NZ without a work permit? And vice versa???? Do you just have to go on an extended "holiday" and just find a job???

We're frustrated.

All advice, help, etc. will be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Randy and Donald

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Naive and Bummed

Hi both and welcome to the forum :)

It can be a frustrating situation so I understand where you're coming from, but one quick question first.....

If you score over 100 points, you are eligible to apply for Residency, whether you have a job or not, so could you not get your PR, then come to NZ and find jobs once you get here??

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi both,

Again, welcome to the forum. [smiley=006.gif] Good to have you with us.

I would agree with Welshgirl in that you can still apply for residency with 100 points and over, so I'm not sure where your problem lies. You could be granted PR or maybe a Work to Residency visa, after which you can then reapply for residency.

Another and quicker way in is to visit NZ on a Visitor's Visa and then look for jobs while you're there. When you get a job offer you can then apply for a Work Permit, which you must have in order to legally work in NZ. Of course, this route is always risky, as you have to gauge how easily you would be able to get a job in your line of work.

I hope you can find something to suit your situation that will allow you both to enjoy the delights NZ has to offer. Good luck. [smiley=023.gif]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

The part that bummed us out was that a score of 100 doesn't seem to be enough.

But.....after doing some more research, it looks like we do have a qualification in an area of high need...so that might do the trick for fast tracking things.

We will submit our EOI this week and see how it goes!

duane1x is offline Member

Hi both,

Another and quicker way in is to visit NZ on a Visitor's Visa and then look for jobs while you're there. ?When you get a job offer you can then apply for a Work Permit,
    Can I ask you and others for your experience with going this route - if you are in NZ applying for jobs are you upfront about not having the visa yet? Of course you'll be applying soon (hopefully) with job in hand, but will you be able to get interviews?

I've looked at some internet sites and many job classifieds say for example that they are for holders of NZ work visa only. I would take this to mean, Don't bother applying if you don't have your visa yet.

And I'd find it dishonest to go on interviews claiming to have something I didn't (yet). Even though my interpretation of the points is that with a degree and job offer you're pretty much a shoe in. Any advice on this appreciated--

Blog Entries

Duane,

Welcome to the forum.

It's true some employers in NZ won't entertain applicants who don't already have some form of visa in their hot, sticky hand but, on the other hand, a lot of others are quite prepared to wait while you apply for a Work Permit if they think you will be an asset to their company. ?A WP can take only days to get so there's no major problem or delay in getting one if you have a job offer. ?It all comes down to how badly a company needs your skills as to whether they'll be prepared to wait for you. ?A lot of people have been very successful in securing a job this way.

I'd be quite honest about not having a visa as you can't work legally in NZ without done. ?You can also apply for a Working Holiday Visa if you're under 30 if you want to get to NZ a.s.a.p. and convert it to another type of visa i.e. WP or PR once you have the job under your belt.
    Mother Bear

Some good news!

Our EOI was selected today! We went ahead and submitted over the weekend and are pleased to be selected so quickly.

Will keep you posted on how the process goes.

Blog Entries

There ya go! You see, NZ does want you.

Well done. Let's hope the next step will go as smoothly for you. Good luck.
    Mother Bear

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Can I ask you and others for your experience with going this route - if you are in NZ applying for jobs are you upfront about not having the visa yet? Of course you'll be applying soon (hopefully) with job in hand, but will you be able to get interviews?

I've looked at some internet sites and many job classifieds say for example that they are for holders of NZ work visa only. I would take this to mean, Don't bother applying if you don't have your visa yet.

And I'd find it dishonest to go on interviews claiming to have something I didn't (yet). Even though my interpretation of the points is that with a degree and job offer you're pretty much a shoe in. Any advice on this appreciated--
    I've heard of people going over on a visitor's visa, getting a job and then residency. I suspect one trick is to have done some homework on whether you're likely to qualify for residency overall, and perhaps to have already begun the application process.

If I were an employer, I would be shy about offering a job to someone without a work visa (or good chance of getting one) purely because of the gamble. The job could go unfilled for a longer period if the applicant couldn't get a work visa. I also would be angry if I found that a job applicant/employee had lied about his/her visa status.

Congrats, Randy & Donald on having your EOI selected. You're likely to have a good chance of getting a job at this stage. A job could also hasten your application approval.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s