Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Query on NZ application

Soupdragon is offline Junior Member

Default Query on NZ application

We're just about to submit our EOI. But there are a couple of things that are worrying me after browsing the forum.

Will we fail our medical as both my husband and I are over weight?

And is the cost of living (ie bills, food, etc) higher in NZ than the UK?

Thanks to anyone that can answer.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Soupdragon,

I think being a bit overweight means that you may end up having to have additional tests for things like diabetes and other things weight-related that could possibly crop up. Unfortunately extra tests means extra cost.

I think it's safe to say that the cost of living in NZ is either comparable to the UK or maybe even a bit more expensive for certain items. A lot of things have to be imported, which adds to the cost and also, with NZ's low population count, it's difficult to import or manufacture in bulk like other countries with larger populations can. Buying specials when they appear and buying fruit and veg in season helps to keep prices down. Electricity and petrol seem to be rising steadily. I'm sure those already in NZ can elaborate much more than I can.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks for your reply.

I think we'll be fine with those sorts of test, so we'll just have to save harder for the medicals

The cost of living was only worrying me as we have small children, and I have no intention of going back to work full time yet.

Thanks again.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

I have to strongly disagree with MB here. Not sure what kind of stuff she buys, but I live here and the kind of stuff we buy for our family (2 young kids) mean absolutely a million times not......the cost of living is most definitely cheaper. The only thing that makes it hard is the income being lower which is perhaps what peeps mean when they say NZ is expensive.

Some jobs pay the same as back in the UK ay but I haven't got one yet altho they advertised, so I can't really comment fully on that.

Rentals can be more expensive than in the UK tho and that hits u hard in the wallet if as most people, that's what you do when you first arrive.

HTH helps if you need anything else.

Thanks Stevey. All input is good.

I saw a post earlier today and someone said their living expenses were around $3,000 per month, which seemed high when compared with average salaries in NZ.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

The only thing that makes it hard is the income being lower which is perhaps what peeps mean when they say NZ is expensive.
    This is what I was meaning although I didn't put it like that. Obviously, people working and living in NZ will be taking home, on the whole, much lower salaries than in the UK. It's no good comparing NZ prices with UK prices when you're earning a NZ salary and not a UK one.

You have to admit, Stevey, some things are way more expensive in NZ than UK, like paint and books, just two examples. You can probably get around day to day shopping expenses by seeking out bargains and good deals but there's no getting around the expense of some other items.

True I don't yet live in NZ, but I'm going by what I hear other people think of the cost of living. I'd say you would need to be a good budgeter and know how to handle money.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Oh dearie me ... a good budgter!

I guess I can learn ... maybe ... possibly ... erm

nattydread is offline God like figure

I'd say you would need to be a good budgeter and know how to handle money.
    i agree a billion percent.
    unfortunately this is one aspect we are still struggling with..

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Really really really dont compare the cost of living to the UK! Or anywhere else for that matter...

Truth of the matter is, compare what things cost to what you earn or expect to earn - in NZ dollars.

Comparing prices - some things are cheaper, some more expensive, but nothing alters the fact that if you dont earn much, affording anything is expensive!

We've seen people in supermarket queues with a not overly full shopping trolley land themselves with a $400 shopping bill. Thats not uncommon to see, so just imagine if that was 400 UK pounds or US dollars, what would you need to be earning to pay for that?!

There's also the trick of shopping around. We've been here nearly 2 years, and have got used to all the prices etc, but in the last few months we've been exploring shops tucked out of the way, or in industrial parks etc and it's really astounding how much cheaper you can find things. Even simple things like fruit or veg, in the supermarket a bag of spuds will set you back around $6 for a small bag, where as a fruit and veg shop will cost about $3 for a bag 5 times the size. Some apples are over $1 each in the supermarkets, but the same things in a small store would cost $1 for 6 apples. Paint in Bunnings Warehouse costs about $90 for 4 litres, depending on the brand. The exact same paint from Placemakers costs $49.

GOLDEN RULE: What you earn is what you can spend, irrespective of it's price in the home land!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

I totally agreed with Taffy. You cannot compare Apple with Orange literally in that sense.

I am not in NZ yet to fully look at the prices but I am sure that are bargains to look out for always. When I was in Wellington back in May, I did noticed the price of fruits varies from the downtown supermarket and suburban factory warehouse store or whatever you call it. Obviously the latter is much cheaper. However sometimes you have to judge is the extra time and fuel cost (car) or busfare needed to travel to the factory warehouse is worth the savings.

Pulsarblu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast