Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The EOI has gone in!!

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Default The EOI has gone in!!

What a weight off my mind, we have finally been able today to submit our EOI - Hubby now has job offer and we have reached the dizzy heights of 165 points!! Now all we have to do is hope for a quick turnaround so that our medical papers are still in date (The 3 months is up in the middle of August!) - I am assuming that as we have over the 140 points we should be automatically be selected to apply for residency so process up to the submission of docs should be quick but has anyone got any recent experience of turnaround times? (For anyone who doesn't know we are actually in New Zealand already and will probably go through the Hamilton NZIS office)

We will be heading to Hamilton on Thursday to sort out work visa so hubby can start work prior to (here's hoping!) PR being granted - what's the shopping like there for me and the little ones??! :icon_biggrin:

Am so excited - I might even have to crack open the Lindauer early tonight!! :icon_wink:

Maggie and the Moos xx

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

What great news, Maggie. Very happy for you and hope it all goes smoothly from now on.

Hamilton is a nice city and I enjoyed my brief time there. Plenty of good shops to roam around.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

Great news Maggie! From what I remember you're in the same position we're gonna be. You headed over just on a VV didn't you with your kids, no job, no house, no belongings? So your hubby has found a job now and then you've applied for PR. How did he find employers reacted to him when he told them he didn't have a work visa? What does he do? And I thought he had to work for 2 years before you could apply for PR? One of the things that concerns me is that they say they can't offer you a job if there is already a kiwi that can do it and can you explain what you mean about your medicals running out? Do you have to have a medical before you go out on a VV? We were just gonna pack and go, like a long holiday but with no intention of coming back!!

So many questions! Yes I know I'm a nosey cow! But your situation is so much as I envisage ours to be - it's like a trial run! Please, please, fill me in!!! And I promise to ask one question at a time from now on :icon_biggrin:

Hi Dawn

We have indeed gone down the VV route and arrived here with loads of luggage (the joys of flying with Air New Zealand before they changed the luggage allowance!! ?;D ) - all our other worldly goods are in Pickfords storage somewhere in south of England waiting for us to get the work permit or PR if by some stroke of luck we get that 1st!!

With regard your questions, here goes the answers, hopefully in the order in which you asked them ? ;) - seriously if I can give you any info please ask away, we had so much help and support from people on here before we came out and it really has been invaluable.

'employers reaction to no work visa?' - employers are much more willing to look at your cv once you are actually here, they understand that its really difficult to get the work visa before getting to NZ. ?Ken contacted a load of agencies in his industry (IT) in the couple of weeks before we came out and they booked in interviews for when we arrived knowing we had definite and immediate plans to be in the country - once we arrived in NZ he also e-mailed CVs to all local large employers and potential recruiters and chased up agencies if they didn't respond - one of these is the one which got him the job he has now been offered. ?That company is prepared to wait for him to now go through the process of becoming 'legit'!! ?

'Working for 2 years to get PR' - we don't have to do this as Ken works in a part of the IT sector which comes under the absolute skills shortage critieria, so we have enough points to get us over the 140 points required to be automatically selected from the pool to be invited to apply for PR (If that makes sense!! ?[smiley=icon_eek.gif] ) ?If you or hubby don't work in an industry or job type which is within the skilled migrants category then the 2 year work to residence is I guess the way you are going? Sorry if I'm wrong on that

'Not offering job to Non-Kiwi if Kiwi can do it' - ?can't comment on that as no experience of it - we certainly hvae not come across any discrimination or bad feeling towards non-kiwis in social or work situations - someone else may be able to comment?

'Medicals running out' - we got all our paperwork sorted before we came out (ie police checks - which last 6 months I think - and medicals - which only last 3 months) ?These aren't required for VV, but we wanted to make sure we had all the necessary documentation in place so we could submit application for residency once Ken had his job offer (see how confident we were that all would go our way!! hee hee hee!!) - we also brought things like photocopies of our passports, birth certificates, loads of passport size photos, exam certificates, job references ('to whom it may concern' type ones)

Think that covers everything you asked, but as I say please do ask away - I know I asked loads of questions before we came out and I'm still asking them now! ?[smiley=icon_lol.gif]

Go for it - its like free-falling!!

The Moos

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

YEAH!

Good for you! It sounds like you took a little bit of a gamble and it's paying off beautifully. :)
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

johnty is offline Senior Member

dont know how much help this will be.
    after we submitted our EOI we were selcted on the next draw (they are two weekly)a bit surprised as did not have job or 140 points.
    then we waited about 4 weeks to get our ITA (that appeared on the web ,then two days later the paperwork came by recorded mail)
    but i am led to belive that because you have a job offer your EOI will be processed first then in decending order with points.and mayby cos your there it might speed things up.
    all the best

moose is offline Senior Member

Good Luck, Ive Got Everything Crossed For You.!!!!!!

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

You're making us feel great maggie - your good news is great encouragement. If you can do it - so can we! :006:

Bit of an update on the EOI - we were selected from the pool on 20 July, and having looked at the NZIS site yesterday we have been sent our invitation to apply already! ?So hopefully we will receive that in the next few days and we can get it back immediately as we have all the docs ready to go. ?

It's all happening a bit fast ? [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif] ?We weren't expecting it all to happen so quickly, but hey that seems to be the way things are going for us here. ?We are also waiting for the work permit to come back for husband so that he can start bringing in some pennies (or should that be cents! ?[smiley=icon_biggrin.gif] )

Maggie x

duane1x is offline Member

Default Re: The EOI has gone in!!

Bit of an update on the EOI - we were selected from the pool on 20 July, and having looked at the NZIS site yesterday we have been sent our invitation to apply already! ?So hopefully we will receive that in the next few days and we can get it back immediately as we have all the docs ready to go. ?

It's all happening a bit fast ? [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif] ?We weren't expecting it all to happen so quickly, but hey that seems to be the way things are going for us here. ?We are also waiting for the work permit to come back for husband so that he can start bringing in some pennies (or should that be cents! ?[smiley=icon_biggrin.gif] )

Maggie x
    I am a little confused now after rereading this thread. What is the work permit? Is that a separate process from the EOI - ITA? I thought that after you receive the ITA and submit the paperwork, assuming it is approved, then you are free to work in NZ. Am I deluded? It's been some late nights here in the US with keeping watch on the elections.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast