Thread: Electrician question

KC
    KC is offline Junior Member

Default Electrician question

I been looking at previous posts on Electricians as my OH is one,

We are about to submit our EOI but I am confused as to when we would have to register him, should the EOI be successful (god I hope so). Do I register him once we get the ITA or do we have to wait until we get there (NZ)?

I have seen that you can do courses in London that count towards the licence, rather then waiting and doing this in NZ as we were hoping to go without a job offer as we have 130 points without one.

My OH has C and G part 1 and 2 and a full 5 year apprenticeship this is assessed as level 4.

I'm sorry if this rambling but I am overloaded with info at the moment.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I don?t know if you have checked on this, but I think he may only get points which count towards PR for his trade if he holds a NZ provisional practising licence from the EWRB. You can apply for it from the UK, but parts of the form may have to be signed by his new employer in NZ. That would mean he needs a job offer to get the signatures to get the licence, to get the points, to successfully submit an EOI.

Without this NZIS may only offer him a WTR until he gets a job and works for 3 months. It could also be difficult to obtain a job offer as potential employers may not take job applications seriously without a licence and PR.

I?m not 100% sure of my facts, but this is how it comes across to me. A bit chicken and egg. Have you looked into this site yet for the EWRB ?

On the upside and something I AM sure of, NZ is desperate for skilled electricians so getting a job should be relatively easy.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

KC

Many Thanks,

I had read something similar to this before, do you think it would be worth me contacting NZIS to check this out. Is it something they could answer before I submit our EOI.

Cheers

K

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I've sent you a PM with some information, KC.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

johnty is offline Senior Member

hi kc found your quirey a bit late so you may well be sorted and possibly clearer on the subject than me.
    i am a sparky to and have had our EOI selected on 130 points.(they pulled us out on next draw ,sparkys seem to be wanted at the mo)
    when we got the selected status i contacted the ewrb,they then told me i could apply for a provisional licence from the uk.(you need to get letters from past and present employers along with copies of certs off to them.but not standard refs they need to list the different voltages and types of installations worked on and different types of materials and wiring systems used)
    then we recieved our ITA which states as mother bear says the chicken and egg thing.it is different for those with job offers to those without.but one thing is certain the NZIS wants to see that you have made contact with the ewrb.they also state that you can not get registered with out a job offer, but you can get the provisional licence from the ewrb if every thing is in order and you take a health and saftey exam (in london)the EWRB did not mention the health and safty exam as a requirment for the provisional licence.so we may get a provisonal licence or a request to take an examin the next few weeks(takes 6 weeks to process apparently)
    this may be of help or more of a headache,i will let you know what hppens next
    cheers johnty

KC

excellent info, thank you

I have emailed EWRB and received a 10 page reply with all sorts of info on it. We are still working our way through this. Havent submitted EOI yet as OH still finishing a house extension. Hope all goes well with your application and please keep me posted, would be very interested to hear how it goes.

K

johnty is offline Senior Member

hi kc a quick update on the registration issue.
    well as mentioned before we applied to the ewrb before we got our ita and been waiting and wondering.so yesterday sent them an email and a very helpfull mr paul mcgrail emailed back to say my work experience had been accepted and a provisional licence would be issued.still dont know if i have to sit the ?280 one day coarse in london(its meant to be a heck of a lot cheaper to sit in NZ,if that works out with timeing ect)so i will be getting a letter to take with our ita now yippie.
    johnty

KC

Thats great news, Hopefully you will be able to sit the course once you get there.

K