Thread: nurse query

alifox is offline Junior Member

Default nurse query

[smiley=icon_biggrin.gif] Hi all, this is my first posting so here goes. I'm a nurse with 15 yrs experience, so should get 130 points to my calculations. I haven't included the job offer part as we are about 2 yrs away from coming over to live (hopefully!) in NZ, and will have no probs in getting a job, as I can always go thru an agency. I'm just after advise as to whether I'm on the right tracks. My hubby has distant rels coming back to England for hols next month, so we are going to pick their brains also. We are planning to go over next year for a good holiday & fact-finding trip, it will be our first visit. Of course, we are getting books out & searching the net etc also. I heard yesterday about the NZ expos coming up this year in October- might give one a go. I know we're in the ealy stages in all this, but would welcome any advise. Sorry about the long thread!!! [smiley=006.gif]
    Job offer 21/06/07,EOI submitted 28/06/2007, EOI selected 04/07/2007, EOI successful 24/7/07, nurse registration arrived 24/7/07, medicals 24/7/07, ITA submitted and offer accepted on the house 24/08/07 Hubby failed medical, therefore had to let house offer go still fighting!

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Default nurse query

Hi there and welcome to the forum. There is a thread about past expos that may be of some help. Not too sure how to post a link but if you use the search function and type expo you should find it really easily. also on there is a link to expo website if i remember.

We went to three this year with varing usefulness but i would say go to as many as poss, spend as long as poss, and talk to as many people as poss.

This is a great place to ask all your questions and search old threads as lots of useful stuff in there.

Hope this helps, Helen.

Default nurse query

:icon_biggrin: thanks Helen, will bear that in mind.
    Job offer 21/06/07,EOI submitted 28/06/2007, EOI selected 04/07/2007, EOI successful 24/7/07, nurse registration arrived 24/7/07, medicals 24/7/07, ITA submitted and offer accepted on the house 24/08/07 Hubby failed medical, therefore had to let house offer go still fighting!

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default nurse query

Hello,

Welcome to the forum! :icon_biggrin:

As Helen mentioned, a few trips out to NZ before you decide to come across for sure is advisable, but then thats just my thoughts as some people just move out without ever being out there.

Hubby and I travelled NZ last Oct time for 3 weeks and we managed to get round the North and South Islands. Glad we saw a bit of both. Most people said we were mad to do the both islands in 3 weeks but it gave us a great insight into what they were like. And they are both very different in my eyes, almost like to different countires.

Sounds like you have a good idea of what to do research wise, it's pretty good on this forum as you have some peeps already across in NZ and others who are still going through the moving process so you get an idea what to expect from the time you decide to move to the actual moving date.

Hope everything runs smoothly with your application process, there's probably more answers to your questions on the process on this forum than the actual immi forum so its worthwhile checking here before phoning immi as it costs a bomb to get through to them and they're not the quickest replying to emails either.

Good luck!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default nurse query

.... so its worthwhile checking here before phoning immi as it costs a bomb to get through to them and they're not the quickest replying to emails either.
    I think Stevey mentioned on here a while ago that it's cheaper to ring NZIS in NZ rather than in the UK, as you only pay international rates rather than a quid a minute. ?I've been hunting for his post for ages now but can't find it. ? ::)

This is the number to get them in Auckland +64 9 914 4100.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Default nurse query

Hi There,

If you wanna ring NZIS in London and not pay the ?1/min charge call the international no for them and you get it at local rate:

09069 100 100 National (calls charged at 1.00 pound per minute)

+44 13 44 71 61 99 International

Just miss the +44 and start with a 1 instead. Particularly handy if you get free landline calls with ur broadband like we do!

Hope this helps.

craigmayall is offline Junior Member

Default Re: nurse query

Some of our friends are nurses (mad bunch) so if you need any info let us know. See us at www.nzemigrate.co.nz (our non-profit making nz help website).
    Craig

missvee is offline Senior Member

Hi Alifox thought I would put my two penneth in as I am a midwife. I would really recommend going on the Nurses Council for New Zealand regarding your registration. I went on for my registration and I would say that they want as much information as immigration if not more. They want police clearance, details of your education, if you are diploma or degree etc.. I had to contact the university and ask them to send details. They want you to fill in competencies, these are 43 questions which you had to back up with evidence, 2 references, if you sent copies of documents they had to be notarised. Your portfolio, this had to be the last 3 years. Medical from your doctor and confirmation from the NMC that your fit to practice. There was the fee of course which was $1000 +. Its a nightmare. I don't know if it is the same for nurses. Even though you are not going yet I would prepare yourself, wish i had.
    Missvee

? ? ?;) Thanks Missvee, it has been a while since I've been looking here. I've just finished my ncnz application, with all the paper gathering and waiting around for people to get back to me with info- in all it took about 6-8 weeks :( I agree that it takes lots of preparation, just hope there will be no problems. Have been told about the 6 weekly board panel meetings, so should hopefully hear something soon.
    ? ? ?I am going out to North Island in 8 wks for our fact finding trip/ holiday, and have arranged to meet up with a few recruitment nurses from various area- Rotorua; Bay of Plenty being the ones that I fancy! With a bit of luck, and a little sucking up, I might get a job offer ;D.
    ? ? ?One employer told me that the immi process was taking about 12 weeks at the moment, which I think is pretty good considering the complexity of it all! If this is the case though, I'm going to get cracking with rest of the paperwork collection :-[
    ? ? ?

missvee is offline Senior Member

Hi Alifox, I got my job by going on the Bay of Plenty website, i then emailed them asking if there were any vacancies. They got back to me quickly and confirmed there was a positon at Whakatane Hospital. It went from there. I think you can go on the bay of Plenty website and look for jobs. I wanted to live in that area and thats why I contacted them. I also fancy Bay of Islands but will see how I like Whakatane .
    You will have to let us know how you get on.
    Missvee