Thread: SCUBA Quals

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Default SCUBA Quals

Hi,

Does anyone know or know where I can find out if BSAC SCUBA Instructor Quals can count on you EOI points? I have 10yrs experience as an instructor and if this is recognised as a basic qual then I can get more points.

Well just a thought, any pointers gratefully recieved.

Also, did i read somewhere that one couple were working as Dive guides en route to NZ? Can't find relevnt post and would like to read it again.

Many thanks, Helen. :icon_biggrin:

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default SCUBA Quals

Could it be Macfod that you're thinking of? He and his lady are very keen scuba divers etc. Just do a search for Macfod under Author and it'll bring up all his previous posts.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default SCUBA Quals

Well I searched diving etc but not Macfod's name so maybe much search missed it. Will try again.

Ta ::)

boorer is offline Member

Default SCUBA Quals

Would be nice, but as far as I can see, BSAC quals are not relevant (since both hubby and I are National Instructors, we would love this!!). They have no"value" in NZQA terms, as are "amateur", and have no recognised equivalents. You would need to try and blaze the trail! Trouble is (have researched) NZ has no nationally recognised amateur SCUBA org, and rely on the "professional" qualifications such as PADI, TDI etc. Since there are currently no BSAC schools in NZ there is no culture of recognition for the BSAC as an instructor organisation (though no problem if you want merely to DIVE). Hubby and I are intending to emigrate soon (slightly complicated by operation I am waiting for) and fully intend to start BSAC club when we get there. We suspect that if you wanted to start a BSAC school out there you COULD, as you would then need to have the appropriate (BSAC) instructor qualification, and then apply for your professional intructor ticket from the NZ equivalent of the HSE. No help with points to "go" however!!

Please stay in touch, as if you make any progress we'd love to know!!

Default SCUBA Quals

Well I feel humbeld in my expectations as I no way compare to TWO NI's! :icon_eek: Merely obtained a CI ten years ago and never got any further due to Uni taking all my time and money and hubby being non diver after. Still trying to get enough time and money to get him trained so I can go further.

Oh well, thanks for the info. Would be very interested in the whole BSAC club idea. Before i moved here my folks stared new club which I was involved in. My dad seems to think he may have met the two of you on Porthoustock beach trying to get a dive as he was a buddy short so to speak. Small world. :006:

boorer is offline Member

Default SCUBA Quals

Never feel humble, we all started somewhere. It is a lot easier when you're both mad keen! Keep in touch, and we'll see about starting a club when we're all there!!

topcat02 is offline Junior Member

Default Bsac

Hi,

Did either of you end up in NZ? I am just a Sport Diver, but miss the club dives from back in the U.K.

Diving is a wee bit different over here, if it's a nice day, tell work your having the day off, park up near some rocks, and a couple of dives later, you've got scallops, crays, and a couple of speared snapper.

TC

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Default afraid not!

NZ doesnt appear to put this experience in anywhere!

It they did we might have applied..
    Our local UNIi teaches kids on this to qualify as dive instructers.
    Otago Dive..

Lets face it there are thousands of so called dive instructers about.
    We are both BSAC sports and instructer levels with almost 25 years experience.
    But, had to enter on Business Visa's...

I do feel people with National Instructer Levels gradings though are special and should be considered, especially BSAC.

But, rewards time is being near with a three month dive trip planned from May to Ningerloo, Palau and Truk...yahooooooooooo

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by topcat02 View Post
    Did either of you end up in NZ? I am just a Sport Diver, but miss the club dives from back in the U.K.
    Unfortunately, Topcat, neither The Waters nor Boorer seem to be around the forum these days. The Waters did go to NZ on WHVs but, in the end, decided to return to the UK sadly.

Welcome to the forum, anyway. Which part of NZ are you in?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.