Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time limit from EOI to ITA to PR

ExPat is offline Member

Default Time limit from EOI to ITA to PR

I have a few of questions I hope someone can answer.

Is there a time limit after completing your EOI (and being approved) for submitting your ITA?

If my target day for moving to NZ is May 2007 when should I fill out the EOI?

If I do it too early will I lose my place?

Right now, I'm anticipating filling out the EOI in December 06 or January 07 to give it a few months for approval. Does this sound right?

And lastly, after reading several posts it seems numerous people are just shy of the needed points for EOI; I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong when answering the questions. I've done it a few times and I score 255 - how do I know if this is way off?

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Do it now mate. Can take up to 12 months to process EOI. Worse case they'll give you PR and you have 12 months to activate visa and arrive in country.

Do it in January and you'll almost certainly miss the boat, or at least be entering country on visitor visa come may.

Regarding points, 255??? What are you claiming points for, onviously it's possible but all your quals would have to on recognised list and your skill would have to be in Skill Shortage Lists. You'd have to be higly qualified and also fairly young and wanting to live outside Auckland, and possibly be married.

Sound about right?

ExPat is offline Member

Educations: Both have University Degrees from US Universities
    Professions: Executive Management, Project Management (Technology/Telecommunications) / Civil Engineering (spouse)
    Experience: 10+ years in management, numerous technical/technology certifications

Just want to make sure we're not way off. Does everyone else recommend we start the process right away or wait a while?

We will visit NZ in May-June to tour most of the country and make an official decision after our trip.

moggy is offline God like figure

Even with that lot, I would be very surprised if you got to 255 points. I would think that you would have enough to perhaps get over the 140 threshold without a job offer, but I would be very surprised if it added up to 255 points.

I am guessing that are giving the same amount of points for the qualifications and work experience of the second applicant as you are to the primary applicant, which is not how it works.

But 140 or 255 it isn't really important, yu have enough either way

I would certainly think about filling out your EOI now, even after you get PR you can drag things out so that you have up to 18 months to get there, or if desperate up to 3 1/2 years if you go for a visit to get your passports stamped.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If you score over 140 points you automatically get put forward to apply for PR and the process is speeded up i.e. you jump the queue and more so if you have a job offer. The only complications then might be if there was a problem with your police checks or medicals. Once you?ve been granted PR, as Stevey and Moggy say, you have 12 months, possibly more, in which to get to NZ to activate it.

The question would be, although you say you are going to visit NZ in May-June 2007, when would you actually intend immigrating there? If it will be at a later date, you could defer applying until, say, at least 6-12 months before you aim to immigrate, as this will allow time for the application to go through and you can activate your PR when you arrive rather than on your visit next year. I believe there?s some kind of restriction on how much time you spend in NZ per year to maintain your PR status.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

ExPat is offline Member

If you score over 140 points you automatically get put forward to apply for PR and the process is speeded up i.e. you jump the queue and more so if you have a job offer. The only complications then might be if there was a problem with your police checks or medicals. Once you?ve been granted PR, as Stevey and Moggy say, you have 12 months, possibly more, in which to get to NZ to activate it.

The question would be, although you say you are going to visit NZ in May-June 2007, when would you actually intend immigrating there?
    Sorry...let me clarify. We will spend May-June 2006 (this year) in NZ visiting the country; hopefully North Island and South Island. After visiting, and ensuring the country is to our liking ;) , we will then submit an EOI (July 06?)

The earliest we could move to NZ would be May 2007. The primary purpose for the delay is to build a huge cash reserve to live on while we move and search for employement. This also coincides with when the school year ends in US [school runs from August thru May]. Money may not be an issue if we rent out our non-mortgaged US home but this requires some careful US/NZ tax considerations.

My wife has suggested we move in December 06 or 07 since that's when the NZ school year starts but we'll need to research that further. In one scenario, it may make sense for me to move in May 07 and bring the family over in December 07. Either way the kids will either restart a grade in NZ or partially completed one here in US.

I do not anticipate any problems with police or medicals so if I fill out EOI in July 06 and end up "jumping the queue" I would have until July 07 to complete the process?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

My turn to say ?sorry? now, but I think my brain is starting to fail me (been a busy day and bedtime looming [smilie=Sleeping.gif] ). By ?completing the process? do you mean being granted PR or actually arriving in NZ to activate your PR? If things go well for you it could take maybe 5 or 6 months from submitting your EOI until PR is granted (going by some of the other members? signatures on their posts). Once you have PR you have a further 12 months from that date in which to travel to NZ to activate the PR otherwise, I assume, it will cease to be valid. It appears there are some options available where you could possibly extend this period by a few months.

I hope this is what you were asking about and I?m not barking up the wrong tree again [smiley=017.gif] .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Well if May 07's the date. If you get PR by May this year I'll be amazed!!!

Now you're talking December then it may be an idea to delay til about may/june.

On the points, I'd agree with moggy. You don't both get the points but 140 is more than plenty. A job offer is still really important for fast track application even if you do get selected straight way.

ExPat is offline Member

Thanks for the help. I did the EOI test again and selected more conservative answers and I got 220. I'm not adding both scores together just reporting what the window shows when I hit SUBMIT after answering the questions. I answer most of them NO and a few YES. The ones with drop down I select 10 Years and 6 years / 6 years.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter I just want to make sure I'm over 100 and filling it out correctly.

hehe dude, don't fret noones calling you a liar. Good for you tho, you'll sale in. Ironically tho, I could get in faster than you with 105 and a job offer if you don't get one before applying [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif] I wouldn't rub it i if I did tho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast