Thread: Moving to NZ Query

ksmeakin is offline Junior Member

Default Moving to NZ Query

Hi

Basically ive been travelling to NZ on holiday alot since 1990. Ever since ive wanted to move/live in new zealand. I finish my degree in the UK in July 2006 and have begun looking seriously into how to move to New Zealand. I have found the information on the immigration websites very hard to digest. I see you need to score 100 points to be considered, however at the moment i only score 90 points but with a job offer this would move up to 160 points. When looking for jobs in new zealand they require you to already have a work permit.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me in best way to proceed for me to be able to move/work in newzealand.

Thanks

Keith

nattydread is offline God like figure

welcome aboard mate..

what's your degree in..?
    Unfortunately, since they changed the rools in december a lot of people find themselves in a similar position..

It is possible to secure job offers without having a visa already..

One way to do it, is to go there on holiday..
    find a job , and never come back..
    there are pitfalls (under statement) but it's a way to do it.

If you read through these forums you will find a lot of people in similar predicaments and they all habe their own theorys and plans to get round it..

join in and have some fun.. because once you get started, there will be days when you wonder if fun will ever come your way again..

good luck

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Keith [smilie=Welcome.gif] .

It?s been said many times on here that, if you can?t secure a NZ job offer while still in your own country, you stand a much better chance of getting one if you are already in NZ. Employers take you more seriously if you?ve made the commitment to get there, whereas, if you?re still back home, how can they guarantee that you?ll really see it through and fly to NZ to take up the job? To them, planning to take up the job is quite different to actually doing it.

In some cases, even with a degree in your back pocket, you may find that they require you to have at least a couple of years? experience before they?ll employ you. I believe this applies especially to occupations like teaching and nursing. You may also have to have your degree assessed by the NZQA.

You don?t mention whether you have any family that would be travelling with you. If you are going it alone, you are in an even better position to grab the bull by the horns and go down to NZ job hunting, either with a visitor?s visa or WHV (Working Holiday Visa) if you?re under 30 years old. You can read about the WHV here. It does ask that you convince them that you are going more for a holiday than to work, but I?m sure you can get round that :icon_wink: , like a lot of others before you. Some employers will insist that you already have a Work Permit before taking you on, but certainly not all, as there are those who will be prepared to wait for you to get one so that you can start work with them legally.

I?d agree with you that the Immigration site is a maze of information which is very difficult to sift through when you aren?t clear about which path you want to take. Good luck with your decision making. :)
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks for the info. My degree is in Information Technology/Systems. Its on the long term job shortages list but only gets points on that basis if have 3 years expereince.

I have family already in New Zealand not immediate family, Uncles and Aunts willing to be sponsors. At the moment ill be coming over alone.

Thanks again for your help.

Keith

jadet is offline Junior Member

Keith,

What type of job are you looking for? IT is a big field, do you have some technical skills? I think that you would be able to find work if you were already in NZ. Are you young enough to do a working holiday visa? You just need to get your foot in the door so to speak.

I think people the world over have trouble getting jobs when they have no experience and just a degree. I used to work in technical support and most of the people I worked with had years of experience, lots of skills and no degree at all. I had a degree in Psychology and a bit of experience. I started as a help desk person and move up to more advanced support. But if you have any programming skills or server management stuff you will be able to get better jobs.

There are recruiters who look for IT folks, you might investigate that angle.

Where do your aunt and uncle live? If you could stay with them/ use their address while applying you should have an easier time of it. True they say you have to have a work permit, but if you are there at the door and they need someone I bet they will hire you and you can usually get a work permit the same day!

If you have a bit of time before you graduate, do some volunteer work in IT just to get something on your C.V. Maybe a local non-profit organization needs someone to help with something? Build up your skills and get an some Microsoft certifications? Or network certs if that is the direction you want to go.

Hope this helps a bit.

Blog Entries

I have family already in New Zealand not immediate family, Uncles and Aunts willing to be sponsors.
    I'm not so sure that your relatives would be able to act as sponsors, according to this, but it certainly wouldn't harm your case having family already in NZ.
    Mother Bear

Yeah i dont get any points for the family already out there but think may help later down line with having address etc. My Family in New Zealand both live in Auckland. Im 23 years old so fit in age category well.

The skills for my Information System Honours degree(Graduate July 2006) are heavily on the Analyst and design side (O-O, Knowledge management, Soft systems, SSADM etc) of things with bits of programing. I'd rather get job systems analyst side of things but would just want to get my foot in the door to start with.

One of my uncles which moved out 6/7 years now, moved out with an IT background but in his late 30's with lots of expereince and savings. His advice was to stay in UK and gain experience and savings as money isnt great in NZ. Money is not my motivation but has anyone on here found this a problem with trying to start a new life in NZ? Being a graduate ive managed not to get any student debt but dont have too much savings at min. Plenty though to cover the WHV requirements.

The more i find out the more confusing/things to take into account there appear to be.

Thanks again for the info- all been very helpful

Keith

Blog Entries

Keith,

Financially you?ve got quite a bit going for you already. You are young and on your own so you won?t have to worry about renting/buying a place big enough for a family. You won?t be setting up a home with a lot of furniture and equipment for a family. If you aren?t lodging with your relatives you could make do with just a bedsit or one-bed apartment to begin with (possibly even sharing a small place with someone), which will be much cheaper. If you are intending to stay with your relatives, that would have its benefits too. You will also only have yourself to feed. How you will manage on your money will depend on what sort of lifestyle you take on. It?s encouraging that you haven?t incurred any student debts and shows you can handle what little you?ve got. Consider, too, whether you?re going to need to buy a car or can you make do with public transport?

Your uncle is right in saying that wages in NZ aren?t always that great, so a good head for budgeting is handy. If you?ve never had to budget for yourself previously, you could make a list setting down all the likely expenses you?re going to meet, so it doesn?t come as a shock to you.

I take it your uncle, with his IT background, isn?t in a position to point you in the right direction for a job? Obviously the more experience you could get the better it would look with any prospective employer but, if you look hard enough, there will no doubt be someone who would take a chance on you if you impress them at interview and don?t have too high an expectation of the type of job you would be offered initially. Without experience you?d probably have to start at the bottom and work up once you?ve proved yourself. You?re fortunate in having someone ?on the ground? in NZ so to speak, that can help you with advice on cost of living, car prices, apartments etc. so you are briefed before you go.
    Mother Bear