Thread: Question on Total Work Experience

cecilio.barra is offline Junior Member

Question Question on Total Work Experience

Hi guys,

I have a question about work experience in years for my EOI. I started working as .Net developer from July 2002 until today which totals it to 8years+. However, there were some vacant times specially in Jun 2006-Jan 2007 where I stopped working because for me and my wife's plan to migrate in Singapore. That was about a period of 7 months. I do not have an official job that time, however, my friend asked me to join some part time project which was also in .Net platform but without contract (just word of mouth).

And from February 2007 - December 2009 I have jobs also in .Net development. I resumed work this March 2010 as .Net developer and is currently employed.

My question is, should my total work experience be less than 8 years? Since I was vacant for 7 months in the Philippines and 2 months in Singapore.

I am quite confused what to put in my EOI.

Any help is much appreciated.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I would think INZ are more interested in your recent work experience. Just put down what you have done in the past and, if they need to query it, they will contact you and you can give a full explanation. Certain occupations require a definite number of years' work experience but I'm not sure what it would be for your type of work.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

cecilio.barra is offline Junior Member

Hi MotherBear,

I have one more question :)

While I was in the Philippines, I had a 4 month contract with an agency and their client was Sony. I do not have the copy of my contract with the agency but I do have a photocopy of certification from Sony. I think I have accidentally submitted the original document when I applied for PR here in Singapore. So all that was left was my photocopy only. I tried requesting a copy from Sony but they say they cannot issue such certification, worse is the agency already closed down.

My question is, do you think that I should exclude my work experience with Sony? I believe that when an EOI is successful and was invited to apply for residence, original documents should be presented as evidence.

Thanks in advance.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Is it possible to ask for your original certificate from Immigration in Singapore? I would think they should return all your original documents anyway. They only need to see the document and take their own photocopy so shouldn't need to keep it.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Just explain the scenario to Immigration. They are there to help you not hinder you. The absolute worst thing you can do is appear to hide or lie about something. Then you are doomed if they catch you. They are not amateurs at this and some people will try to lie about things. You don't get a second chance so be open about any potential issues. They will see you are being open and will tell you what is best to do.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."