Thread: Need help!! I need to remove cat smell

acaturgegapse is offline Junior Member

Default Need help!! I need to remove cat smell

My cat is getting old and peeing everywhere. grrrr!

I need to remove cat pee odor from a carpet. Does anyone no a good product or household remedy to remove cat pee from carpet?

thanks in advance.

steve

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

When I first got my kitten she peed on the carpet a few times and I bought No Vac from the supermarket. It s the one for pets which says: neutralises pet odours. When you spray it on it s foamy and then goes into the carpet and takes away the smell.. has worked perfectly well for me :)
    WHV submitted 20/11/07 approved 15/01/08
    arrived in Auckland 23/03/08
    Work permit under partnership submitted 21/05/08 APPROVED 29/05/08
    Work permit extension under partnership submitted 06/03/09 APPROVED 23/03/09 Expires 23/03/10
    Residence permit under partnership submitted 06/03/09
    Immigration Officer assigned 30/04/09
    Residence Permit APPROVED 29/06/09
    Our Baby Boy is due 01/04/10 "whoopwhoop"

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Thought I'd wandered into a different forum but then realised we're in the Coffee House where anything goes. Just can't get my head round why someone would come onto a NZ immigration forum and ask about cat wee.

A chemical-free option I've read about is to use vinegar although I don't know how it would work on old, dried stains. One of our cats suffers from fits and wees during her fit so we have a lot of experience of cleaning up after her. Luckily our floors are marble here although she does land on a rug or two now and then. I've often used vinegar, which is supposed to neutralise cat urine smells. The smell seems to linger for a little while but then disappears, unless I just get used to it, which is a worry . I haven't quite gone to the lengths mentioned below though.

Home Remedy for cat urine smell. This is a great recipe for removing cat urine odor from carpet. Start by blotting up as much of the urine as possible with old rags or paper towels. Next mix 3 parts water with one part vinegar and saturate the spot.Dry thoroughly using the same method mentioned above. Once dry, sprinkle the area with Baking Soda. Next mix ĺ cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution with one tsp. dish detergent and sprinkle over the Baking Soda. Try this first on a small inconspicuous area of the carpet to make sure the hydrogen peroxide wonít discolor your carpet. Next, use your fingers or an old brush to work the Baking Soda in. Iíve used an old hairbrush with little bits of plastic over the tips with good results. Allow this to dry and vacuum it up. If thereís still a slight odor when done, lather, rinse and repeat.

From here.

Another site saying more or less the same.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Household ammonia
    i use that for any stale odours, so sure it would work on cat pee
    Meadow

Landed in New Zealand 29th jan 2008
    Colin got job offer 21st feb
    Work Permit applied for 3rd march
    Colins work permit received friday 2nd may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010
    My work permit applied for 7th may 2008
    My work permit received 27th may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010

Arrived back in Scotland 21st July 2009

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I don't know if there's a NZ equivalent, but in the States I get a product called Nature's Miracle. An internet search might find something for you. It uses enzymes to break down the urine so it doesn't smell. I think it's also good for other pet odors. I've had good luck with it, though deep, old smells in carpet won't go away completely. Good luck!
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s