Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High School Woodwork

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Default High School Woodwork

I might have been a little drunk last weekend, but.....

....I discovered that I share some common history with one of my Kiwi friends.

We both made a wooden pencil case to exactly the same design while we were in our first year at High School. It was rectangular with dovetail corners, a plywood base and a plywood lid that you could swing out to open the box.

Nothing unusual until you think that I made mine in 1980 in the UK. He made his about the same time in NZ. A third friend made exactly the same one in Rhodesia in 1978.

Out of interest (and because I haven't got much else to do) I'd like to hear from anyone else who made that same pencil case somewhere else in the world during their first year at High School.

Banjo.Jon is offline Finger Picking Good!!!

I did not make one, but I was given one for my first pencil case when I started school in the early 80's, I think my Dad still uses it as I remember seeing it a couple of years ago. Funny feeling one of my uncles made it but not sure.
    Landed in NZ, 13th August 2008

Web http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kokopeli View Post
    Out of interest (and because I haven't got much else to do) I'd like to hear from anyone else who made that same pencil case somewhere else in the world during their first year at High School.

I didn't because I got landed, like the other girls, with making our own gormless green and white checked cookery aprons, which certainly didn't help to improve my cooking skills. However, after discussions with hubster, it turns out he made the same pencil case in his first year at the 'big' school in about 1961 and it was in Dorset, UK. That design obviously endured although I wonder if it's still going strong these days.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

LOL MB. I made the same apron in needlework! They must have hard up for ideas back then 'eh!

Blog Entries

Come to think of it, cranking the old memory into action, it was needlework I made my apron in. We were split into 2 groups, needlework and cookery. I wanted cookery, but was rather miffed when I got stuffed into the needlework group. This bloody apron became the bane of my life as I couldn't get the hang of how it went together. It was probably because I had a bad teacher. That's my story, anyway . In the end we changed over groups and I finally got to use my apron in the cookery class. I was as good at cookery as I was at needlework. Thank God I've improved a bit on both counts since then (if you don't count the time I made a long-sleeved dress and both the sleeves fell off ). Time is a wonderful healer.
    Mother Bear

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

we got woodwork at my school,think it was about 1st or 2nd yr for me and i remember making a box. I think it was a trinket box,too square to be a pencil case
    Rememeber the lid wouldnt close properly

Also got the same nasty apron ,i think mine was blue check,the boys used to get navy and white stripey material that made your eyes go cockeyed

My only proud moment was in art and we had to make jewellery. I made 1 earring which teacher used for a charity event thingy,cant rememebr details,just know it was mine that got picked.
    dont know why she didnt get us to make 2 earrings,i just remember it being the one(cheapskates)

Oh how i hated school

Anyway back to your pencil case,i had one of the wooden ones in primary school. Dont have a clue where it came from,think my grandpa made me it though
    Meadow

Landed in New Zealand 29th jan 2008
    Colin got job offer 21st feb
    Work Permit applied for 3rd march
    Colins work permit received friday 2nd may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010
    My work permit applied for 7th may 2008
    My work permit received 27th may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010

Arrived back in Scotland 21st July 2009

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

My son made one in a UK school in 2001, so I guess the idea of making wooden pencil cases still hangs around.

Ahh, cookery and sewing classes. So rarely did we cook anything interesting -who remembers cheese and potato pie?
    Last edited by Glenda; 19-04-2009 at 10:15 AM.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    ....-who remembers cheese and potato pie?
    I don't remember making cheese and potato pie although I'm sure we would have. It must have been one of the things that went right for me as I still love cheese and potato pie now. What I do remember is sponge cake. Both rounds of my sponge sandwiched together with the filling weren't as thick as one round of my schoolmates' sponge on its own. I just couldn't get them to rise - they were more like biscuits. Sod's Law, that was the project I was given for my cookery exam, so I knew I was doomed. Over the years I've managed to gather a couple of reasonably foolproof recipes that get me by.

Another school project I remember is learning to crochet. I'm left-handed and was taught by a right-hander. It was incredibly difficult to do because I had to look at it like a mirror image but, once I'd mastered, it I crocheted a sleeveless jumper straight off and it was put on display at our craft fair.
    Mother Bear

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

I can't remember doing any sponge cakes - perhaps they thought they were too hard for us 11/12 year olds (I then made the first move to NZ at 12 where such subjects did not exist in in the High School I attended - there girls were taught shorthand and typing and boys woodwork, metalwork and car mechanics). I do remember pineapple upside-down pudding though, which was so 'exotic' in those days.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    I can't remember doing any sponge cakes - perhaps they thought they were too hard for us 11/12 year olds (I then made the first move to NZ at 12 where such subjects did not exist in in the High School I attended - there girls were taught shorthand and typing and boys woodwork, metalwork and car mechanics).
    Straight down to business then. No mucking about with sissy subjects.
    Mother Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast