Thread: Smoking kills 5000 annually

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Smoking kills 5000 annually

Don't smoke when you get to NZ, it's bad for you . You'll have wasted all that lovely money you spent on your immigration application.

Smoking kills 5000 annually
    Last updated 18:42 05/04/2009

Five thousand New Zealanders die each year from smoking, which is the equivalent to losing a town the size of Alexandra.

This is one of six stark facts presented by a new anti smoking campaign, Face the Facts, developed by the Health Sponsorship Council and the Ministry of Health.

The other five are:

* All cigarettes are deadly.

* Nicotine replacement therapy is safe and doubles your chance of quitting.

* Kids who have a parent who smokes are three times more likely to become smokers.

* Smoking robs you of 15 years of life.

* Roll your own cigarettes are just as deadly as tailor made cigarettes.

Oncologist David Hamilton, who works at Wellington Hospital, said he lost patients every week to smoking-related cancers.

It was hard to comprehend such a large number of needless deaths, which annually were the equivalent to 14 passenger-laden 747s crashing each year with full loss of life, he said.

"Unnecessary suffering and loss of life on this scale is terrible - especially as the cause of these deaths can be avoided."

He had seen patients with lung cancer aged in their 20s to their 90s, Dr Hamilton said.

"Most patients with smoking-related cancers are 40 upwards - people who should still have decades of life left, but instead face leaving behind friends and family, much too early."

People had a limited knowledge of the harms of smoking, research showed, and smokers underestimated their own personal level of risk of developing smoking-related diseases.

- NZPA

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Comeonyouirons is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Don't smoke when you get to NZ, it's bad for you . You'll have wasted all that lovely money you spent on your immigration application.

Smoking kills 5000 annually
    Last updated 18:42 05/04/2009

Five thousand New Zealanders die each year from smoking, which is the equivalent to losing a town the size of Alexandra.

This is one of six stark facts presented by a new anti smoking campaign, Face the Facts, developed by the Health Sponsorship Council and the Ministry of Health.

The other five are:

* All cigarettes are deadly.

* Nicotine replacement therapy is safe and doubles your chance of quitting.

* Kids who have a parent who smokes are three times more likely to become smokers.

* Smoking robs you of 15 years of life.

* Roll your own cigarettes are just as deadly as tailor made cigarettes.

Oncologist David Hamilton, who works at Wellington Hospital, said he lost patients every week to smoking-related cancers.

It was hard to comprehend such a large number of needless deaths, which annually were the equivalent to 14 passenger-laden 747s crashing each year with full loss of life, he said.

"Unnecessary suffering and loss of life on this scale is terrible - especially as the cause of these deaths can be avoided."

He had seen patients with lung cancer aged in their 20s to their 90s, Dr Hamilton said.

"Most patients with smoking-related cancers are 40 upwards - people who should still have decades of life left, but instead face leaving behind friends and family, much too early."

People had a limited knowledge of the harms of smoking, research showed, and smokers underestimated their own personal level of risk of developing smoking-related diseases.

- NZPA

From here.
    Hi Mother Bear - I've just signed up to Move to NZ after arriving in Wellington 6 months ago. I noticed your post because I work for the Quit Group which helps people stop smoking! Are you involved in smoking cessation, or just interested? And if you've got any advice to guide me around the forums that would be much appreciated!

Come on you irons (Chris)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.

No, I'm not actively involved in smoking cessation, but I am interested because of the long term dangers and the grief it can ultimately cause, especially after it was a contributing factor in the death of my father and some other people I have known.

Keep up the good work!
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I was quite surprised here, how many young girls smoke
    I think ive saw more girls than boys smoking here
    Most folks here smoke roll ups too ive noticed

A woman came off the bus today, as we were walking back from having pooch up the beach. It was that biting freezing cold wind, and aye she stops to light up her wee rollie. I just wanted to huddle round her lighter for heat

Even when i did smoke, i never smoked outside, unless i was sitting down, because i used to singe my hair , and could never light them in wind or rain etc

Nah glad to be off them, couldnt afford them now anyway
    My whole family were smokers, just one brother left smoking now, we have all qiut. He feels so anti social now at xmas etc
    Meadow

Landed in New Zealand 29th jan 2008
    Colin got job offer 21st feb
    Work Permit applied for 3rd march
    Colins work permit received friday 2nd may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010
    My work permit applied for 7th may 2008
    My work permit received 27th may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010

Arrived back in Scotland 21st July 2009

Banjo.Jon is offline Finger Picking Good!!!

Almost a year since I gave up and I still crave them. Even have the odd dream where I am having a nice chilled out smoke with a pint!
    Landed in NZ, 13th August 2008

Web http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

we are about 4 yr now, and yip i still dream of them, thoroughly enjoying it too
    And sometimes even talking about it, i get that familiar empty feeling inside, which isnt so good
    Strange though, as i actually hate the smell of them now
    I know ex-smokers who used to sit with smokers to get a whif, but i sort of hated the smell early on
    I do refrain from wafting my hands though at smokers, as i hated when ex smokers done that to me

Wonder if the fags in NZ taste the same as the ones in UK? Though i know if we still smoked, we would perservere anyway, even if they were horrid
    Meadow

Landed in New Zealand 29th jan 2008
    Colin got job offer 21st feb
    Work Permit applied for 3rd march
    Colins work permit received friday 2nd may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010
    My work permit applied for 7th may 2008
    My work permit received 27th may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010

Arrived back in Scotland 21st July 2009