Thread: How friendly are kiwis!?

jellypie is offline Junior Member

Default How friendly are kiwis!?

A nice thing just happened to me. I was cycling down a busy road and on the other side, two cyclists actually called out and waved to me! That NEVER happened to me in the UK, even on very quiet country roads the most you ever got was a wave.

Also, walking in the countryside around Wellington people not only stopped and said hello but actually stopped to tell us what a wonderful day it was and how great the view was from the top etc.

Kiwis are so friendly, it's great!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Compared to here (Oman) they are extremely friendly on the whole and it does my wee heartie a lot of good to get down to NZ for my fix of genuine friendliness and interaction with my fellow mankind (or womankind ).

Maybe I feel it more, coming from a country where I consider myself lucky if I get even a glaring look from the locals. Of course, they aren't all like that but just try going round the shops and getting good service with a smile from a local girl, let alone a friendly chat. Males aren't quite so bad.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

TanyaJ is offline Member

They're friendly but not easy to make friends with, know what I mean?

They'll smile and wave but that doesnt mean they'll invite you over for tea. Its been hard to get used to and is the reason that almost all of my friends are expat Brits and South Africans, only 1 kiwi so far. Not how I'd planned but hey, I'll take friends where I can get them.

jellypie is offline Junior Member

I think it's always difficult to make friends with locals when you arrive in a new place because they have established friendship groups.

As a foreigner it's always going to be easier hanging around with other foreigners as they need friends too. Bit of a shame though, it makes it difficult to really integrate with the locals.

But I have found kiwis to be less inhibited than other cultures - a friendly hello is never far away which is always good

driver is offline Member

Default You're right Tanyaj

They are friendly on the outset. Will always mention the beautiful weather or want to know my dogs name. But any more than that and oh dear it's scary. You can go around all day saying hello to strangers or chatting mindlessly with the woman in Countdown, but try to tell someone how you feel or share a thought on anything else in life over a coffee and they run a mile.

The people i'm close to here are all immigrants too. The only kiwi family we are friends with lived in the UK for 7 years so we all have common things to talk about and they seem to get the jokes etc.

Our neighbours had barely even acknowledged our existence here for 2 years, but when a tree fell on my car and i was out there chopping off branches. All of a sudden people appeared from all directions with chain saws and cutters. We all chatted as we cleared the mess. I thanked them thinking wow i'm in now, we've all had such a bonding. Ha ha ha, never seen em since!!!!

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Yep

Two years and hardy spoke to our neighbours apart from a wave or hello.

We are outgoing but still they are difficult to get on with and have a conversation with.
    I reckon they still treat us immigrants as visitors as if you say your going away they always say..you going back home...to ENGLAND.

Nice people but the older ones especially are old fashioned..
    my thoughts..
    but we still love it..

At least the milkman is an escapee and can share wit and have a laugh with..

That aside they will always say hello and in passing..
    Especially the younger one

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

When we were there in January, Taffy and WG had just moved into our new house and, of course, we stayed there, too. Our next door neighbour (kiwi) invited us round to see her garden and she came round to use our pool and have a chat. We were working hard on our old lifestyle block some 20 mins. away during this 'holiday' and this lady insisted she would come and help us, despite being 70 years old. She worked like the devil all day in 30 deg.C temperatures. She takes an interest in our garden and donated a tamarillo tree (which I suspect has since met with its demise).

A neighbour across the road (Brit) invited everyone to a BBQ to welcome us and a few other newcomers to the street although I think it was our lady's idea. These are mainly older people and we all got on very well and, I'm sure, when we go back again, we'll be treated as friends rather than just someone who has a house in the area. I won't say we'll be close friends but, to me, any type of friend is good when you're in a different country.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

paul_dickson78 is offline Junior Member

I have to agree with you all that it does seem really difficult to make friends with the people of NZ. I came down here at Christmas for three weeks and met some cool kiwis and I was sort of under the impression when I got back down here we would catch up, oh how wrong can one be. Not even a welcome or an hello. Then of course there is the kiwi lass who was part of the reason for coming down to NZ, who refused to let me mix with her friends (but the whole debacle with her is for another conversation). Started a new job this week and being a multinational company there are a number of people from various countries and the most welcoming so far have been the Brits, fella from SA and a kiwi who lived in the UK for 12 years. I'm going to keep trying to make friends with locals but at the end of the day, being so far from home and all my friends back there, I'm greatful for the friends I have made so far who have been so welcoming and supportive.

Keep smiling people and have yourselves a crackin weekend.

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

I've made many friends from the beginning of all nationalities, Auckland is a very friendly place.
    Kiwi's DO have a different kind of humour to Brits though but you do get the occasional one that can be similar.... there is a reservedness but people do smile more in the street.... some people are nice, some not, just like anywhere.
    I've learned that it's best just to be your warm self irrelevant of what the response is.... you can break that cool demeanour eventually ha!!

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

What?? Get y'sens to Hamilton. Everyone's great here. Met no one but people who want to be kind and share - freakin awesome.

Ello! Y'all!!!
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land