Thread: Typical Pom?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Typical Pom?

What it means to be a Pom
    Reuters | Tuesday, 11 November 2008

A typical British person enjoys talking about the weather, is great at queueing and loves sarcasm, according to a survey.

When they are not watching trashy soaps, getting drunk or shopping for bargains, the British are peeking through their curtains to spy on their neighbours, it found.

Researchers from Onepoll :: Homepage asked 5000 adults to pick out both the good and bad characteristics they believe make the British unique as a nation.

An obsession with discussing the weather topped the list of 50 traits, with 58 percent of people admitting they can't resist commenting on the forecast.

More than half of people polled said Brits were the politest nation when it comes to queuing. Moaning, watching television and keeping a stiff upper lip also featured in the top 10 traits of a true Briton.

The love of bargains, which came in sixth, may prove useful to a nation facing recession. As could the fondness for a soothing cup of tea to ease worries, which came 18th.

The survey found that despite admitting an inability to express emotion, the British also have a humorous side, with 22 percent saying they are not afraid to laugh at themselves.

Among other traits, those asked also said they saw the British as a nation of bad dancers who love deep-fried food and are obsessed with class.

The top 10 British traits were:
    1. Talking about the weather
    2. Great at queueing
    3. Sarcasm
    4. Watching soaps
    5. Getting drunk
    6. A love of bargains
    7. A love of curtain-twitching
    8. Stiff upper lip
    9. Love of all television
    10. Moaning

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

It was lovely and hot today, so I didn’t mind waiting for half an hour to be served at the garden centre. You'd think they were busy. Fortunately, I got home just in time for Corrie. And I managed to pick up a case of beers for half price on the way home ‘cos they were going out of date. I was bleeding hammered by the time the adverts came on. Then I watched a film on ShiteTV, but I missed half of it ‘cos I was trying to see what the bloke next door was doing with that blonde woman from up the road. She was round there all afternoon. Honestly, I don’t know what she sees in him ‘cos he’s a right miserable sod. You’d think he’d do the right thing and cut his bloody lawns more often. Pass me a bucket.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

That just about covers it apart from the bad dancing, greasy food and class obsession. Perhaps you could pencil those in for next year.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.