Thread: Own up

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Own up

Which of you Christchurchians is harbouring a fugitive?

Monkey loose in Christchurch
    The Press | Saturday, 23 August 2008

Minty the monkey is on the run in Christchurch after breaking out of Willowbank Wildlife Reserve.

The capuchin monkey sprang her own great escape from her Belfast home on Wednesday.

Reserve director Kathy Rangiwananga said the South American monkeys were about to be transported from their old home to a new Monkey Island enclosure when Minty seized the opportunity to escape.

Minty became distressed as a vet checked the monkeys in preparation for the move.

"This one, she just got out and it was just really unfortunate ... We just have our fingers crossed that it's still alive and hopefully found somewhere warm and some food source. We don't know what it'll find at this time of year."

Hopes that Minty would return to her home, family and food had dimmed. "It's not like trying to find a horse or trying to find a sheep or something like that. They're up trees or inside bushes. They're just so mobile."

Minty would respond to monkey noises but should not be approached.

Contact reserve staff on 359 6226, extension 703.

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Lone female? In Christchurch? At night?

I'm afraid I don't rate Minty's chances...

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default All's well - she sold her soul for a peanut

Peanut ends monkey's escape bid
    5:00AM Sunday August 24, 2008
    By Anna Leask

Minty the monkey's great escape from a Christchurch wildlife reserve was thwarted yesterday when she was spotted perched in a tree at a nearby park.

The capuchin made a dash for freedom from Willowbank Wildlife Reserve on Wednesday as she was being moved to a new enclosure.

Staff were unable to locate the wily primate at the reserve and appealed for public sightings.

She was spotted sitting in a tree by Shane Carter as he was walking his black labrador Ben.

"I looked at her and she looked at me - we were having a great time watching each other," he said.

Carter called Willowbank and staff collected Minty soon after, using a peanut to lure her into a cage.

A Willowbank spokeswoman said Minty was checked by a vet and was in good health, despite being a bit thinner than usual. She is now back in her enclosure.

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kokopeli View Post
    Lone female? In Christchurch? At night?

I'm afraid I don't rate Minty's chances...
    Why, because there's a kokopeli about?

No silly. It's because (according to what you see and read) Chch is like Sin City after dark. That monkey was lucky it rained all weekend. Any other day and it would have been sold into the sex trade, turned into fur slippers and a matching thong or eaten. And not necessarily in that order!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kokopeli View Post
    That monkey was lucky it rained all weekend. Any other day and it would have been sold into the sex trade, turned into fur slippers and a matching thong or eaten. And not necessarily in that order!
    I wonder how much you can get for a half eaten monkey thong/slipper set in the sex trade?
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Wel, I'm no expert in these matters but I reckon at least $1.50 and a bag of pineapple lumps
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

I'm sure Pete Burns would know Taffy!

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Nah, he's only interested in Colobus monkeys, so a Capuchin would be quite safe ....... unless he's thinking of trying a new breed of coat