Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh How We Miss The Bbc

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Oh How We Miss The Bbc

I know we are not the only people to be shattered by the crap crap crap crappest crappest crappity crappity crappling crapmost CRAP coverage of the Olympics!!!!!!

For some reason, before we left the UK I believed we could get the good old BBC on Sky. I'm sure I read it on this forum somewhere and so I am going to sue Taffy for false and misleading information. I'm pretty sure it wasn't him that said it, but I'm going to target him anyway because I can. He will be vair afraid and quake in his pantaloons for at least a few seconds before he remembers I can't afford to pay a lawyer. Then, the next time I see him he will slap me with that wet chamois leather he keeps in the drawer under his desk and remind me to remember my place in the pecking order of Move to Nzers and threaten me with stoning. I will become a sopping, uncontrollable, tearful wreck, fall to my knees and beg forgiveness because I can't catch stones and I'm afraid of sharp ones hitting me in the eyes.

Anyway, that was not at all what I was going to say.

WE MISS THE BBC!!!!!!
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Bet you don't miss paying for a TV licence though

kokopeli is offline God like figure

I wouldn't mind paying a licence fee if it meant I could watch uninterupted coverage of the Olympics. I'd had enough of the sodding adverts on TVOne before they'd unrolled the flags at the opening ceremony last Friday!!!

I know we're in New Zealand, and I have been cheering for the Kiwis, but....

...if you had just arrived from Mars and had to learn all about sport on Earth by watching TVOne's coverage of the Olympics, I think you would come to the conclusion that the only athletes are much-hyped (but-not-very-good-really) Kiwis, Michael Phelps (does anyone else think his teeth point inwards like a shark?) and a weightlifter with a dodgy elbow!

The lack of adverts on the BBC means they have hours of airtime to fill (and all those extra Freeview channels to fill it with) so they broadcast a reasonably wide and balanced coverage of athletes from other nations.

And while I'm having a rant, what's wrong with the people who run the Sports Review after Nightline on TV3? All of their promo clips last night described a feature about base jumping lunatics in Canada. They showed different clips at the start of the show and before each advert break. And what did they show when they got to the feature itself? About 10 seconds of the same footage as they rolled the credits. Come on TV3, don't promise lollies then give us stale cream crackers! And come on MovetoNZers. Write now and complain. March in protest. Let the great New Zealand public know that they're being had over. Write to everyone you can think of and demand more. Helen Clarke, TV3, Winston Peters, Sir Edmund Hilary, Captain Cook, that bloke Jim what does the weather, anyone, someone, save us from this madness.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't mind the license fee either

And I am writing to all of those people Koko - RIGHT NOW in blood so they take me seriously.

I am also writing to those psychic people on that Sensing Murder thing so that they can change all of the channels on the telly with their psycho-kinetic powers and wipe the brains of all TV people so they'll never realise anything has changed.

Come on everyone - JOIN THE CAUSE!!!!

We shall not, we shall not be duped
    TV in New Zealand is all poop
    See us chained together wrist to wrist
    We're severly pissed !!!!! (angered you understand not annebriated )

I have spent the afternnon trying to find some decent Olympic coverage online and I'm about ready to murder someone. The BBC site won't stream unless you're in the UK. I can't speak Morrocan or Kurdish, so eventually tried my old favourite, New Zealand's own TVOne.

And I ask you. WTF is the point of having an online stream of the Olypics online if the stream has to stop every five minutes while the telly transmission goes to a commercial break?

I don't want to know about Harvey Norman (oooohhh Harvey Norman), The Warehouse (where everyone gets a bargain) or Oilchangers in four convenient locations. I don't want to know that Big is Gud and I don't want to be told to keep quiet about Beaurepairs (that's such a shit advert). I'm not going to enter the State Insurance draw or vote for a Kiwi sportster to win a car. I just want to watch the SWIMMING. It's not what we're drinking. No, it's what we're fekking watching. Come on New Zealand. Get a grip before this gets nasty
    Last edited by kokopeli; 14-08-2008 at 05:15 PM.

Blog Entries

We were all excited about these Olympics because we were going to be in the same time zone - well, closer than UK - no having to watch repeated coverage etc - BALLS! What is going on with this country? I'd have thought being the sporting nation that it is, something like this would have been top of the list. A priority.

We going home for the next ones eh? Just watch us

Default It gets worse

How useless is TVOne? They show the men's doubles rowing, but the director chooses a camera than somehow manages NOT to show any of the NZ boat. And they cut to adverts followed by repeats of the NZ rowers and don't even mention the men's coxless fours, which is surely THE glamour event of the whole Olympic regatta. A race that the Brits (in case you're in New Zealand, in which case you won't hear it anywhere else!) won for the fourth games in a row.

I have given up. I've had enough. I'm flying back to the UK to watch some proper Olympic coverage. In the meantime, I have just sent this email to TVOne:

Dear TVOne,,

I have lived in half a dozen different countries and have to say that your coverage of the Beijing Olympics ranks among some of the worst television I have ever endured. The constant interuption of adverts is ruining these games. I appreciate that you need to generate income, but couldn't you at least vary the ads that you show? To add insult to injury, your online streams stop whenever you show adverts on tv.

Your coverage of the rowing regatta deserves special mention because it has been diabolically poor. You need to take disciplinary action against the director who chose the camera angles during the men's double sculls. How on earth did you manage NOT to show the Kiwi boat on our screens during the last half of the most widely anticipated race in New Zeland rowing history? I am disgusted that you then cut away from the rowing completely, missing the men's coxless fours, which is surely THE glamour event of the entire Olympic regatta.

It is unbelievable that we have had to wait until Day 8 to see a medal ceremony. And I mean ANY medal ceremony, not just one involving a Kiwi. I am sure that I am not the only viewer who would like to see medal ceremonies regardless of whether or not our Kiwi athletes are nvolved.

I do not think I have the strength to endure another week of your miserable presentation so kindly invite TVOne to buy me a return ticket to London so that I can watch some decent coverage on the BBC.
    Last edited by kokopeli; 16-08-2008 at 11:50 PM.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Glad I'm still in the UK!!! We have watched it everyday WITHOUT ads. Fantastic coverage. Almost makes you want to stay - but not quite
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Duke is offline Senior Member

2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing | Athlete, Team Profiles, Olympics News | Free Photos & Videos | NBC Olympics - has video w/ no comments, live streaming I think

And Lebron James(basketball) grew up and went to school 30 minutes from my house...what an athlete..we love him here in Cleveland
    Last edited by Duke; 17-08-2008 at 06:43 AM.

Ggrrrrrrrrr

Thanks guys, but the US and UK streams won't let you in unless you have a domestic IP address.........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast